Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just for fun - That cheap NEW axe that surprised you?

Tennessee

My Ovation Celebrity Adamas style axe. Got it for $299 a few years ago. Sounds as good, and plays as well as any of the more expensive ones. Can't beat the natural finish. Best sounding blonde ever, with auburn highlights... :D

Also scored a Laguna guitar from GC a few weeks ago for $299. Don't have any pics of mine up yet, but you can check it out here: Laguna LE200Q guitar

I got the transparent black cherry finish. I can play anything on that motherf^&*$%. Reviewed it there as daffy_duck_nj.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Ampeg Heavy Stud, Tele knockoff with different kind of headstock. Bought new for $35 when Ampeg bailed on having guitars made in Korea (or anywhere). It was stashed away since 1975 and only brought out of the closet when I had to travel to reunion gig with my college bandmates. Had local guitar shop set it up (and it needed a lot of "setting up"). Now I love playing it. Feels good, love the tone and mostly use it for open E and slide now.

http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects2/2/5/1/9/919152/images/ampeg_whole.jpg

http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects2/2/5/1/9/919152/images/ampeg_head.jpg

You can get better guitars but I know of no greater value than my Indonesian Squire Strat Bullet Hardtail. Laugh if you must but I bought one from Media Play with $10 in store incentive bucks when they already had it on sale for $79 from $99. I walked out with it for $75.38, tax incl. It may not play as well as a high dollar axe but damn if it don't compare well with many $500+ Strats. A bit less noise would be nice in the neck position but otherwise I use inbetween settings most often so noise isn't a problem. I rarely use vibrato bars so being a hardtail is a feature, not a limitation.

When Media Play went out of business I only wish I'd had a few hundred bucks to play with. They had a slew of these guitars for sale when prices fell to 40% off. That's right... a very playable guitar from Fender for $59 + tax!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

My Ampeg Heavy Stud, Tele knockoff with different kind of headstock. Bought new for $35 when Ampeg bailed on having guitars made in Korea (or anywhere). It was stashed away since 1975 and only brought out of the closet when I had to travel to reunion gig with my college bandmates. Had local guitar shop set it up (and it needed a lot of "setting up"). Now I love playing it. Feels good, love the tone and mostly use it for open E and slide now.

http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects2/2/5/1/9/919152/images/ampeg_whole.jpg

http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects2/2/5/1/9/919152/images/ampeg_head.jpg

Good guitars, actually, and have regained some cachet. Mike Cooley from The Drive-By Truckers used a few onstage (unfortunately he didn't tune them often enough). A friend of mine had the Big Stud bass since he was a kid but lost it in Hurricane Katrina's flood aftermath. I placed an unserious bid on one on eBay and won it, so I passed it on to him and told him to just pay me whenever he could with no hurry. It's got a cool vibe.

You can get better guitars but I know of no greater value than my Indonesian Squire Strat Bullet Hardtail.

I agree. I recently picked up a 20th anniversary Indonesian unit from a pawn shop for $65. Set it up and put it away in my "closet" collection as one of those that might or will gain in value. Also picked up a black Squier for $60 that I ended up selling for $75. Guy set it up and put away his expensive American Strat. Says the Squier sets up better. The Indonesian ones are the good ones.

When I want that good old Strat sound I pull out the 20th, otherwise it stays put away so I don't beat it up. My 20th is also a hardtail. I find that the units with whammys on them often are beat up, since a lot of beginners had these, and usually the bar is gone anyway.

Want a custom guitars for prices you can afford? Check out www.tsunamiguitars.com

The yellow Tele in my avatar is Indonesian: $199. Not bad..didn't like neck and frets though and got rid of it.

Bought a MIM Tri Burst Tele for $300. Much better guitar and is easily gigable for what I consider a low price guitar. For the cost, the stock tuners need replaced :)

Per http://www.Frugalguitarist.com

"I'm always impressed at people who can cobble a guitar together from random parts purchased online. But these creations take things to a different level by recycling old game consoles into (presumably) playable guitars! (per website)

Direct Link=

http://blog.frugalguitarist.com/fg/blog/post/Like-Video-Games-Check-Out-These-Consoles!.aspx

http://blog.frugalguitarist.com/fg/blog/post/Like-Video-Games-Check-Out-These-Consoles!.aspx

About half way down page on the 2nd below link to the 5 guitars

(working or "faux" ?

*one though is noted to have a Guitar Hero controller*

http://blog.frugalguitarist.com/fg/blog/

I included the above link as on occasion the long hyperlinks do

not cooperate.

Guitar #1 Sega Genesis Guitar

Guitar #2 Nintendo Guitar

Guitar #3 Family Computer (Japanese Nintendo) Guitar)

Guitar #4 Dream Cast Guitar

Guitar #5 Atari 2600 (per site Fully Working with tiny LCD Screen built into Guitar Hero Controller)

My picks= (Looks and Color and Style )= Guitar #3 Family Computer

(Japanese Nintendo) Guitar

(Most Ingenious and Workable= Guitar #5 Atari 2600 Fully working with tiny LCD Screen Built in to Guitar Hero Controller.

#1#2#4 (and #3 and #5) all far better than I could come close too!

:rawk::rimshot::sick::snax::D:poke::freak::facepalm::confused:

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Line 6 Variax 500 & Workbench

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

Seynour Duncan Shape-Shifter

eMac

Amazing stuff folks have picked up n pawn shops, yard sales or used guitars at shops, Why not take a chance when the body is alder or ash on a Fender and may or may not change out the pickups (which are becoming more and more varied and decreasing in cost, and changing tuners can make a huge difference in sound (and staying in tune ) As Made in The USA guitars continue to rise in cost and quality drops especially at the company beginning with G and is in Nashville, Memphis and Montana (they seem to be really having some deep issues going on and even a PR campaign may not bring them back

and they used to make some fine guitars (but look at the Robot Guitars, Dusk model and other supposedly inovations gone bad.

Its a shame as I want to buy American but can I justify the expense in this Continued shaku economy answer=no, Fender's Squire brands are really getting good reviews and MIM as well (the Crafted in Japan Jaguars were cleared out at $499.99) wow

I wanted to buy one but felt saving money was a better idea ,

I am getting frustrated a bit with rising prices of some Korean made guitars but PRS SE is lowering prices on older models and brought out quite a few at NAMM (You can change those pick ups out too if desired, I paid barely over $400.00 for a PRS Tremonti SE (platinum color) with a really padded gig bag and to me the quality is top notch, I can not afford a USA PRS thats for sure though (unless I decide to sell most of my gear and go with 1 or maybe 2 axes. I think I will stay put and perhaps buy a effects unit (I like The Electro-Harmonix Cathedral Reverb unit (that endless sustain is like a Fernandes Sustainer! There are alot of reverb unit out there but so far I really like that one

peace and keep the guitar buys coming, Interesting thread

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Line 6 Variax 500 & Workbench

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

Seynour Duncan Shape-Shifter

eMac

the one that surprised me is the one I consider Fender's secret value - the Indonesian made Squier Telecaster Custom II. It's basically a '72 Custom, but with Duncan Design P-90s instead of the humbuckers. It's got very big tone, and sits nicely in a mix whether distorted or clean. I got mine for $260 CDN in black. The mods I did were barrel knobs (the knobs are chintzy looking amp knobs, though I'm looking for Twin knobs to give it a more authentic look), a TUSQ nut to replace the original plastic nut, and replaced the saddles with stamped steel ones from a Strat bridge. My local Long and McQuades have sold quite a few of them since they were introduced......
"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Oh man, you guys are killing me. I can't stand it when people get awesome deals on pretty nice guitars only because I never usually do. But, I can say that I picked up an HSS strat a few years ago for $299 from a ma and pa shop. Metallic red, which isn't may absolute favorite color, but I live with it.

Looking for a seriously discounted Gretsch. Like that's gonna happen. Thanks again for all the great photos and info. It made my day.

Download Guitar Lessons

Charlemagne

Easy Guitar Lessons

Archived