Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

While My Cat Gently...

Joel T Johnson

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still waiting for the cat to get amusing...

It's a cat, I suppose that's about as amusing as it wants to be.

Not bad tapping. Question. How do you get rid of the overtones? I try tapping on open strings and get ridiculous overtones. It doesn't happen when I tap on a fretted string. What's the secret?

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

um, can you solo out the audio that you're playing 'live'. Or just that bit and the drum machine is good.

Seemed like a ton of sound from one bass at first. Then I heard all the additional instruments, including at least one more bass, as it went.

So now I'm curious what's what.

If you are tapping an open string the harmonic node(s) where you tap are going to favor those harmonic overtones. If you want the eliminate overtones the best spot to tap is exactly over the 12th fret -not just behind it where you would normally play or tap a fretted note.

That's what I am doing in this piece anyway.

Do not think me shallow because I am frivolous, just as I do not think you profound because you are grave.

um, can you solo out the audio that you're playing 'live'. Or just that bit and the drum machine is good.

Seemed like a ton of sound from one bass at first. Then I heard all the additional instruments, including at least one more bass, as it went.

So now I'm curious what's what.

As I recorded the video I simultaneously recorded the track to Cubase along with playback pre-produced tracks: NI drums and doubled guitar tracks.

After recording the video (in two sections as the ringing chord from the first overlaps the second) I quickly tracked that hack job of a solo in three sections. I didn't record any video of the temp solo.

I rendered a quick mix of the tune in Cubase then flew it into the video editor (Vegas) I used the audio track from the camera mic to manually sync the Cubase track with the video within one frame by aligning the first tap on the bass from the two tracks.

I left the room mic in the video because I like that it gives the false impression a tinny and hollow-sounding camera video till the full spectrum tracks play.

Do not think me shallow because I am frivolous, just as I do not think you profound because you are grave.

I still suck!

Well, if you suck, Joel T, I can't even imagine what abysmally low category my playing would fall into.

I hope I didn't belittle anyone's playing. I've been working on this for quite a while and still can't get all the way through without error. Just expressing my frustration of not achieving that illusive good take.

I still suck!

Well, if you suck, Joel T, I can't even imagine what abysmally low category my playing would fall into.

I hope I didn't belittle anyone's playing.

No way. I can do that all on my own.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Archived