Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Victa's fretboard, theory and ear training

Groove Mama

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty great. It's hard to find notes fast when you're looking at the bass from another person's perspective.

I used to be great at interval and chord recognition but I'm doing terribly. Funny thing is that I'm having the most trouble with the same things I had to work on when in theory classes. I was better back then. :)

I used to be great at interval and chord recognition but I'm doing terribly.

Oh, how about it?!!? As a kid, I used to fall asleep figuring out melody lines in my head using intervals. I even minored in music in college. Of course, that was over 30 years ago. Now I can barely tell a 3rd from a 6th. Pathetic.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

What a great learning tool, a fun game, and a humbling experience, all in one.

Couple key-reading tips:

The next to last flat in the series is the key. Example: 5 flats, the next to last flat is Db, so the key is Db.

The note one half-step above the last sharp is the key. Example: 3 sharps, the last sharp is G#, the key is A.

Good tip Griff

I find the sound interval thing difficult when the first note is quite low. It occurs to me I have never needed to know the interval played by another bassist, but i have needed to know the interval played by a guitaris or vocalist and sticking to the middle octaves would be slightly more useful.

That sounded like a complaint, which is unfair as it is a useful site.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I find the sound interval thing difficult when the first note is quite low. It occurs to me I have never needed to know the interval played by another bassist, but i have needed to know the interval played by a guitaris or vocalist and sticking to the middle octaves would be slightly more useful.

Davo

It helps when trying to learn a bass line or solo by ear.

Davo

It helps when trying to learn a bass line or solo by ear.

You're a solo by ear.

• 1 year later...

What the heck is that 8va note thing?

Great recommendation, mama! I will visit there more often :)

Realised this weekend that my ear training has been quite eh, non-existent for too long so I am going to work on that for a good bit. But I am definitely going to visit Victa's site more often too :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

...but with no doubt Victa is more talanted guy both as a teacher and as the composer.

With "no doubt"?!

I'd say with plenty of doubt. That's quite a subjective judgment. My point is, though, why compare like that? They're different players, composers, and teachers. There will be variation in whether the playing, compositions, or teaching of one or the other is better or more appreciated by any given listener or learner.

Essentially we're talking about two uber-competent and talented musicians. And, believe it or not, some folks might not like EITHER of them!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

What the heck is that 8va note thing?

FWIW, Wikipedia sez:

"The notation 8va is sometimes seen in sheet music, meaning "play this an octave higher than written." (all' ottava: "at the octave") 8va stands for ottava, the Italian word for octave (note the 8 and the word 'oct')."

If this is incorrect in some way, maybe our buddy Michele can straighten us out.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Ooops...I didn't notice. This is quite a thread revival, EPB.

Haha yeah I know. I was looking for threads on ear training - I always do a search before starting a new topic* - and found this one. I figured it was interesting enough to bump :)

FWIW, Wikipedia sez: //snip//

Yeah I kind of study Italian (same as how I kind of know how to read sheet music - hardly) hence my earlier comment to Wally that it actually makes sense if you think about it ... in Italian :grin:

On a side note, I have been practising more upright bass as of late, and I use this book (recommended by some forumites) as my main source of material. Whilst I use the tab (:evil:) for note reference, I realised the other day that I simultaneously look at the written music for note lengths. Quite odd, but hey it works and I am getting better at reading rhythms!

* unless I wanted to complain about my now-previous band

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived