Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Or, Apropos of Nothing

Chad Thorne

Some years ago I bought a Raimundo classical guitar from a pawn shop in Portland, Maine. Raimundo is a reputable Spanish maker and this guitar, while not top-of-the-line, plays wonderfully, has a sweet, lyrical tone, and even smells good. It's my absolute favorite guitar. I recently figured out that the reason I love playing classical guitars is because my first guitar was a classical that I ignorantly put steel strings on, ultimately ripping off the bridge, that was lost in a house fire years later. O, Discordia! But that 12-fret scale feels like home to me.

Anyway, baby Raimundo has never had a case until my wife just bought me one, just the one I wanted, for Christmas. It's black hardshell, with a vintage crushed dark green velvet interior and six latches - two on the hinge side. The guitar fits perfectly, looks pretty sitting in the case, and is finally well-protected. I'm a happy guy.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like you have a keeper.

The guitar and the wife.

Yes! Not only the case, but she also bought me the new Stephen King book and a rabbit-fur-lined mad bomber hat, both of which are perfect gifts for me. Of course, I bought her various and sundry horse things - tack, books, etc. - for her to use with her Haflinger mare that she loves.

Looks like you have a keeper.

The guitar and the wife.

Yes! Not only the case, but she also bought me the new Stephen King book and a rabbit-fur-lined mad bomber hat, both of which are perfect gifts for me. Of course, I bought her various and sundry horse things - tack, books, etc. - for her to use with her Haflinger mare that she loves.

I read the new King book. I think you'll dig it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Re: Stephen King. I was never interested in him, not being a horror fan, but "The Shawshank Redemption" is one of my all-time favorite movies. Maybe next time I hit the local library I can read one of his books.

Re: classical guitars. I could use a good one, since I really enjoy dabbling in that style and other fingerstyles, and playing with nails doesn't work for me on steel-string axes, and I hate fingerpicks!

I took a couple of classical guitar lessons as a kid. Wish I'd stuck with it. Even if you don't plan on being the next Julian Bream, it's a very useful technique.

Sorry to go totally off topic on the Stephen King thing, but... Eric, I think you'd be surprised at how many King stories fail to land in the horror genre. For example, I'd say the new one is more sci-fi than horror. The novella The Body was made into the movie Stand By Me. Also not horror... more of a "coming of age" thing. I never considered The Green Mile to be horror, either. I mean, yeah, sure, he's written books about vampires, possessed hotels and little girls who can set things ablaze with mind-power, but... eh, none of those really came off as horror stories to me... I'd say it's worth your time to read some of his books. At the very least you'll get to enjoy a few good stories.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Yep nothin' says love like a good curry comb and a hoof pick.

:D

Around here that's very true! But we actually had those things. I got Susanna a saddle rack for her new saddle - anniversary present - a hook for reins, and a couple of books by "natural horsemanship" experts. The extent to which playing with her horse and related accessories makes my wife happy, de-stressed and centered, makes these expenditures nothing more than naked self-interest on my part. 'Cause "if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." :D

Sorry to go totally off topic on the Stephen King thing, but... Eric, I think you'd be surprised at how many King stories fail to land in the horror genre. For example, I'd say the new one is more sci-fi than horror. The novella The Body was made into the movie Stand By Me. Also not horror... more of a "coming of age" thing. I never considered The Green Mile to be horror, either. I mean, yeah, sure, he's written books about vampires, possessed hotels and little girls who can set things ablaze with mind-power, but... eh, none of those really came off as horror stories to me... I'd say it's worth your time to read some of his books. At the very least you'll get to enjoy a few good stories.
The single most horrifying King story I ever read was in maybe Esquire or Vanity Fair a few months. I think the title was "Morality" and had not a drop of the supernatural, or sci-fi, in it.

I like to read SK at bedtime. Nothing I could dream is as creepy as some of his stories!

I read the new King book. I think you'll dig it.
I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and I love it, like usual.

...Re: classical guitars. I could use a good one, since I really enjoy dabbling in that style and other fingerstyles, and playing with nails doesn't work for me on steel-string axes, and I hate fingerpicks!...
Well. I'm unable to fingerpick for the same reason I'm unable to play righty, but even picking a classical guitar is nice. In Mexico lots of guys play a nylon-string gtr. w/a plectrum, and of Strunz and Farah, the nouveau-flamenco duo, one fingerpicks and the other uses a plectrum. Plus half the Gipsy Kings. So I guess I'm in good company!

Archived