Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

To float or not to float?

Groove Mama

Great thread, since I now am battling tendenitis on my right thumb. I have come to the conclusion that it stems form playing with the tip of my thumb resting on the neck pickup of a J-style bass (my JB2 is the main gigger). I've dusted off the limited edition 'wick (J/MM pickup config) and the cheap Peavey Zodiac, and am still trying to adjust to both the unanchored thumb technique, and trying to rest the pad of the thumb on the pickup, as opposed to the tip. I could only use the floating thumb technique on a 5-string, which I do not own at the moment, resting on the B-string, which is used far less than the other 4. Between Hipshot drop-D tuners and a Boss OC3, I really have very little need for a 5 at this time.
Founder of the G&L JB-2 Legion

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, Plank, today I had my first-ever acupuncture treatment for left shoulder issues. (Got a little carried away with hand weights at the gym.) Anyway, might be worth looking into for the tendinitis. It's an interesting approach to holistic health that cures a lot of stuff.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Hello,

I do the opposite of floating! On my 5 string, I've actually mounted Thumbrests between my pickups and alongside the fingerboard end. The Thumbrests are exactly the same hight and position as the pickups. This gives my plucking hand the same positioning and feel, everywhere along the strings, producing a very precise and accurate technique.

PS-I think the B string should be used just as much as all the other strings and never as a thumbrest. Half the advantage of having the B string is to have more notes available under every hand position!

BB

I float, because it is an easy way to change tone, and relieves any strain I might have. IMO, there is no "right" spot to pluck at, justhte one that works for that song,, and in songs with Verse, Bridge Chorus as well as dynamics, the floating helps separate those feels or sounds.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived