Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What were you up to 10 years ago?

Phil W

Ten years ago, I was climbing the corporate ladder in the mortgage business. Things were looking good, married 3 years with a step son and a daughter. And I was waiting for the big Y2K bug to end the world as we knew it (oar knott). I had one bass (fretless '71 Jazz) and one amp (Fender Bassman Ten). I was playing bass at church every week, and on occassion with a friend as either a duo or a band, depending on the situation and who could be wrangled into it. I was really frustrated musically, and prayed hard that God would send me the clear sign to either give it all up, or find the right band situation. He told me to cast my nets wide; and later that year I played in 3 different groups, 1 of which lasted for another 4 years (still working with the singerin a newer band).

Ten Years After...

I have 3 more basses, 3 more amps, several more guitars, still can't get my recording software to work, have added a son to the family, still play at church, have a fairly steady band, am out of the mortgage business and into the insurance business (6 of 1...) and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. And I'm laughing at the 2012 doom prophets like I was at the Y2Kers. And I constantly ask God if He wants me to keep playing or give it up. He's not done with me yet, so I keep plugging away. (Good thing, as I just got the masters back for my band's cd. Now to finish layouts & go to press)

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a network design engineer flying around the state in company planes designing computer networks for the California school system.

I was married, weighed 50 pounds more, ate poorly and drank too much on a regular basis.

My son was 2 years old.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Mmmmmmm... twins.

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsM/12346.gif

To paraphrase Frank Morgan: "Twins? Why didn't you say so?? Why, that's a horse of an entirely different color!!

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

10 years ago...hmmm....

I was living in Stuttgart, Germany working as a Managing Consultant for Microsoft Corp building a consulting team to support several Global customers.

I had...

1. Peavey MIDI bass

2. 6 string Yamaha piezeo active bass

3. Fender jazz bass (1966)

Several guitars.

Ensoniq TS-10 keyboard and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler/sequencer.

Cakewalk DAW software.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Mmmmmmm... twins.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/austinpowers/images/2/21/Fook_mi_fook_yu_and_austin_powers.jpg

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Ten years ago, I wasn't even old enough to have my drivers permit, but I'd been playing bass for about a year. My very first bass, an ESP ltd 4 string, which I still have, but never play. No job to worry about, just school and music. Damn I miss those days.....

A lot of people seem to be reminiscing about Y2K so I thought I'd share this really interesting NY Times column from what was supposed to be ground zero for Y2K - New Zealand.

Its Always the End of the World as We Know It

It's pretty astounding: the US spent $100 billion on Y2K "fixes" while countries like South Korea, the Ukraine and Italy did nothing...and nothing happened to either. What a waste.

Archived