Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two Steinberger Synapses in this clip...

Gruuve

Cheers old friends!

One fretted, one fretless. I threw this on disk to get an arrangement idea out, it came out decent so I figured I'd post it here since I haven't posted anything in quite a while...here ya go:

Dave's interpretation of Watermelon Man

The bass carrying the groove along with the drum loop is a fretted Steinberger Synapse, magnetic pickup soloed, lows boosted just a little. This bass has a nice growl to it...very punchy, quickly becoming one of my favorite basses. The melody is being played on a fretless Steinberger Synapse, pickup balance centered between the magnetic pup and the piezo bridge, lows cut, highs boosted, and a little reverb.

Enjoy!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really understand why you posted that clip.

Because he has two Steinberger Synapses. You'd think that a man who owns 10 basses would understand that.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Here's an interesting thing that didn't deserve it's own thread.

With my Synapse, instead of adjusting the truss rod I just move the whole bridge adjustment a little for or aft. Lengthening the strings makes me increase the tension to come up to pitch, which increases the relief. Shortening the strings makes me loosen the strings to achieve pitch, which straightens the neck a little.

It's so much easier (and the results immediate) than adjusting the truss rod, especially since I already snapped one on a Synapse. And since it's fretless, intonation up the neck is my responsibility anyway--not the bass's.

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Is that you on drums?

Davo

Hey Davo...nope, it's just a loop I threw together. (I only had about 30 mins to throw something, and recording acoustic drums tends to take a while.) I generally wouldn't do a drum loop that I couldn't actually play on acoustic drums however, unless it was purposefully intended to be something "over the top"...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Good post, Paul...I hadn't thought that! I don't worry about the intonation on the fretless itself either...I can do it poorly enough all on my own. LOL.

The intonation on the fretted Synapse is just slightly off on the G-string...I need to dig into fixing that...that one-piece bridge saddle is a little odd for a fretted bass.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived