Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Pirate Radio

Nicklab

I went to see Pirate Radio the other day. For those of you in the UK, I believe this movie has been released as The Boat That Rocked. If you're a fan of 60's rock music, you really should see this! The music alone is awesome. And the story is genuinely funny.

The story is based on the situation with British radio in the mid 1960's. The BBC was only broadcasting about 1 hour of rock music a day circa ~1964-1967. So a number of commericial, pirate radio stations started to pop up outside the British territorial waters. One of the most significant ones was called Radio Caroline. And at it's peak, pirate radio in England had a fanbase of 10 - 13 million people.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman plays a fictional dj called The Count who was based on the real pirate broadcaster Tom Lodge. His booked "The Ship that Rocked the World" seems to be the inspiration for the movie. And the rest of the cast is pretty solid with Bill Nighy, Rhys Ifans and Nick Frost.

There are some bands that are notably absent from the soundtrack. Most obviously, The Beatles. My guess is that was probably due to music licensing costs. But there's music from The Who, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Procol Harum, The Moody Blues, The Yardbirds, The Kinks, The Troggs, and just about any early rock band you can think of. This should be a must see for any rock fan.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived