Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best glue to repair broken keys?

Hobo

Hi, I normally replace synth action keys as spares are cheap and readily available (normally). But if I was to glue broken bits together what would give the best result? I was thinking of using superglue as a contact adhesive but does anyone have a better idea of getting the strongest bond on this type of plastic?

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, both of the above. I use superglue to stick it back together, then reinforce the crack with epoxy - making sure any gaps are filled well, and leaving a bit of a layer over it (on the underneath side of the key) to add strength.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Cyanoacrilate (super glue) works best when the parts being glued back are not flexible, and when the crack between them is very thin with a real good fit. It uses atmospheric moisture to cure; in very dry climates it won't work well without a little help. One way to help is to put glue on both parts, spritz each one with a spray bottle, and then press into place. Or use the accelerator, which you can get at any hobby shop. (A hobby shop will also have different thicknesses of glue, which can be very helpful.)

Epoxy will often work better for parts that flex, or if the crack between them isn't nice and thin.

Thanks for the advice. Any tips on getting the keys out from a Kawai K3 synth, apparently the same action as used on the Korg Lambda , Trident and the CX3. They push down from the back but not far enough to get past the "lip" that holds them in place?

Archived