Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lookin for a Looper

Creamer298

So I borrowed a Line 6 DL4 from a friend, and it has a neat loop function. It's fun to be able to lay down some chords and then lead over them. I would like to start composing some songs with the looper (using a microphone to make beats, possibly record some keyboard), however the DL4 only has about a 14 second loop function.

So now I'm looking for a dedicated looper, and I've come across 3 that I'm trying to decide between.

The Boss RC-20XL, Digitech JamMan, or I might step it up and get the Boss RC-50.

Do any of you guys have experience with these pedals, and if so which ones would you recommend?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have the Digitech JamMan and have been more than happy with it...you do have to buy an extra card to get the most out of it as it comes with 125mb but you can plug in a 2gig card and wah lah you can record as long as you want to...it has mic and instrument inputs, works great for song writing, records great...the only thing that didn't work was the peak meter light but didn't need it anyway...and it may work if you play around with the input settings, has both input and output controls, up to 99 patches, drum click, etc...and don't forget to order the optional foot switch if you decide to buy one as it comes in very handy...with practice it can be used for live performances and it's a great tool for singer songwriters or just laying down chords and practicing your leads...warning...it's hard to quit playing with it and your practice sessions will be longer and longer....
Take care, Larryz

Line6 also has the JM4 looper which has some drum samples and some of their amp modelling built in. I haven't played with one but when I was considering getting a looper that was on my list to check out. I ended up getting a used Line6 M13 pedal board which has a looper (28 seconds I think) in it but I didn't get it for the looper I got it for equipment backup. I would like to have some drum beats to mess around with so I may still end up with a dedicated looper some day.

One thing- if stereo I/O is anytyhing important to your overall plan, I believe that the RC-50 is the only one of these that has full stereo I/O, maybe the only stereo dedicated looper period...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm kinda in the dark as to how Stereo differs from Mono when it comes to guitar equipment. I just plug all of my stuff into the mono jack. Do you guys think that the JamMan would be able to satisfy my needs? I just want to be able to throw in a drum beat, a few different guitar phrases, and make weird noises on the microphone. I feel like the RC-50 might be overkill.

I'm kinda in the dark as to how Stereo differs from Mono when it comes to guitar equipment. I just plug all of my stuff into the mono jack.

In that case, don't worry at all about stereo I/O, you'll be fine with either the RC-20XL or Jam Man.

The JamMan has a USB connection if you want to be able to save and load to and from a computer;

The RC-20XL has a fade-out feature that the JamMan doesn't (AFAIK).

By the way, go check out the Looper's Delight 'site.

Akai Headrush E2. This is the unit KT Tunsall uses. I owned a Boss RC-2, but found the interface got in the way. Looked at the JamMan, but there were constraints ... I don't remember, but it was enough to keep me looking ...

The Akai offers stereo, lengthy loops (24 seconds, or 35 seconds in low-fi),really versatile delay, and echo. The only drawback I found to this unit is that it adds obvious noise to the signal chain. Play loud, and it doesn't matter.

I'm kinda in the dark as to how Stereo differs from Mono when it comes to guitar equipment. I just plug all of my stuff into the mono jack.

In that case, don't worry at all about stereo I/O, you'll be fine with either the RC-20XL or Jam Man.

The JamMan has a USB connection if you want to be able to save and load to and from a computer;

The RC-20XL has a fade-out feature that the JamMan doesn't (AFAIK).

The Jam Man has two stop modes, you can stop with the switch or you can use the "finish" mode and it will play through to the end of the phrase and stop, so you can record a fade out if you desire...thanks for mentioning the USB Caevan...this allows you to do a lot of things with the computer like store the 6.5 hours of recording loops from the 2gig card or whole songs on the computer as many times as you have room for, and then load them back and forth on to the jam man...you change your analog to digital on the fly...if you only need 16 minutes of making sounds in live situations then the RC20 or even the RC2 is a better choice...but for the money, I'll take the jam man...I really like the endless overdubbing on the fly feature and the other functions as well... :thu:

By the way, go check out the Looper's Delight 'site.

Take care, Larryz

Creamer298.

I think that is a good choice, especially with the price reductions

I researched on and off for over year before I bought one, checked out the Boomerang Looper (latest version still in the development stage), used alot by Adrian Belew, I like The Jammam, and the Akai Headrush 2 (great sound), I passed on the Line 6 Looper as it had too many features I did not need or already had, I went with Electro-Harmonix's 2880 Super Looper and the 2880's foot controller (certainly not the least expensive but I really , really like it, I have a Stereo Memeory Man with Hazari (which has a looping function which got me started, Best of Luck !

dwwave

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Line 6 Variax 500 & Workbench

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

Seynour Duncan Shape-Shifter

eMac

Thanks for the kind welcome aboard, will try to check the forum out more frequently

Peace

ambienttales

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Line 6 Variax 500 & Workbench

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

Seynour Duncan Shape-Shifter

eMac

...wah lah...
Don't mean to be a Richard, but I have a terrible impulse to correct people. Everybody I know detests that about me. That said:

The expression is "voila" (vwah-la), a French word that translates roughly to "there it is!" or "there ya go!"

O.K., ya hate my guts now. I just can't help myself.

Wonderful info about loopers, though. You know tons more about them than I do.

O.K., ya hate my guts now. I just can't help myself.

I don't hate your guts, not at all

I DO kinda want to throttle your spleen, though...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

OK, that's cool, spelling and ettiquette and helping one's peers; and I've found the Expression Pedal- but where's the Spleen Throttle, picker? :D

You just go ahead and be helpful all you want to Chad...I know it must have bugged you from 11/17/09 to 12/3/09 and you just had to say something...but wah lah, voila, vwa-la or whatever, thanks for not letting it bug you in the way I think it does (whatever that is)....
Take care, Larryz

You just go ahead and be helpful all you want to Chad...I know it must have bugged you from 11/17/09 to 12/3/09 and you just had to say something...but wah lah, voila, vwa-la or whatever, thanks for not letting it bug you in the way I think it does (whatever that is)....
Well, I'm sorry I offended you, Larry. You certainly have the right to continue to use words that you have no idea how to spell, what they mean, or where they came from.

I'm not offended in the least and have only kindness in mind...there is no war on this end and no need to shake hands, only responding to make two points...many a thread contains many words or portions of words or made up words and "Wah Lah" is not really up there in the importance catagory, if someone wishes to make a point out of one of my made up words, I have no problem with it...2nd point and most important, I like Chad no matter what he says....
Take care, Larryz

Archived