Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For people who are into jazz and bluegrass...

GreySeraph

Have you guys ever heard Mike Marshall and Chris Thile (mandolin virtuoso of Nickel Creek) with their album Into the Cauldron? I'm completely lovin' Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers. I mean, I've always loved Steve Kuhn tunes, but this is just ridiculously awesome! :D

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you, or anyone for that matter, like to hear it? I'll send an mp3 to anyone who PMs their email address to me. It's really quite badass.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

I have the album, though I haven't listened to it in a while. Both of them are superb mandolin players, and play well together.

If you like mandolin duets, Sam Bush and David Grisman did an album together entitled "Hold On, We're Strumming" which is also very good in a different style.

OK, downloaded and listened to "The Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers" (four times now); WOW! Niiiiice! Really brings a smile to my face quite often. GREAT playing by "real" musicians! (I snub no one but myself in saying so.) Some real finesse there, great touch!

I love how they elicit the warmth and sweetness of nylon strings with the definition and presence of steel strings! And it sounds like they performed it in a grand old wooden church, lavishly surrounded by carved heavy, smooth, solid old wood.

Tell me more, Grey', all about their instrumentation 'n' stuff on that track...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

If you want me to, I can send you the rest of the cd. Catch me on AIM sometime; my screenname on AIM is GreySeraphim.

As far as the stuff on that specific track, they actually never used any nylon strings :P it's an 8 string mandolin (it's a 4 string with doubled strings like a 12 string) playing with a steel string guitar. The mandolin can coax some really awesome round sounds as you can hear, it just depends on the level of the player and the type of pick used (we can talk about picks all day, you and i :) ) Try and separate the two and you can hear how they never step over each other's toes by contrasting with rhythms, dynamics, and timbres. Sometime later, remind me on AIM and I'll send you over a pdf of the lead sheet of Harrison Crabfeathers so you can read along; the piece itself is a modal piece written by Steve Kuhn (if you want more pieces by Kuhn, that guy is AMAZING at piano. He was born in '38, but he still puts out albums).

Funny enough, even though Chris Thile is known for his solidly virtuosic mandolin playing, he's playing the guitar part (the brighter/tinny, lower sounds) while Mike Marshall is playing the top part. Also, try and tap along and notice how they blend tuplets into their rhythms. It's quite sick :D

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Thanks! While I'd love the whole CD, I'll wait til I can actually purchase it, either as a disc (preferred) or as a paid-for download. I'm trying to conscientiously limit my free downloads to introductions to music/artists new to me, or oddball stuff and rarities, things that aren't likely to even be commercially available, so as to avoid rampant opportunism on my part at the artists' expense. My own small little bit for hoping to help with the sad state of the record industry of late!

Anyway, this take of "The Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers" is a keeper! :thu::cool:

Yeah, I figured that they were most likely playing all steel-string stuff on "Harrison Crabfeathers"; I was just remarking on their collectively deft touch, and the exceptional quality of the recording, as well. There's a warmth there that's not exactly typical of steel-string recordings, without sounding dulled or muddied.

Now, I thought that it was a mandolin and a guitar (and, yeah, I'm familiar with the courses of doubled/unison strings on mandolins and related instruments, but thanks!); but they blend so well tonally and, at times, in register, that I wasn't certain, and wondered if there might not be a mandocello or octave-mandolin or something involved. On top of that, his mandolins courses are exceptionally well-tuned and intonated here, with none of that chorusy/phasey/flangy sound! These guys are obviously dedicated pro's pros!

I'll hafta look up more on Steve Kuhn, as well! :cool:

And, please feel free to shoot me that lead-sheet PDF, I'd love to look it over! Thanks! (Again!)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/thepagesaretorn/SagaofHarrisonCrabfeathers.gif

There it is, for all to enjoy.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

lol playing along with the melody is one thing; try to transcribe the freaking solos. Talk about ridiculous.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

lol playing along with the melody is one thing; try to transcribe the freaking solos. Talk about ridiculous.

Even for a player (not me!) who could effectively play those solo lines, playing them with as deft a touch in dynamics, intonation, tone, and feel as those guys do in that recording is still no easy thing! Even the simplest little parts are played so well on there, it's very impressive.

Best of all, it's just good music- it doesn't sound like you're listening to an exposition of technique.

Archived