Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp making a high pitched noise...

Creamer298

I have had a Peavey Classic 30 for probably a little less than two years now. Within the past couple of months it has started producing this loud, high pitched squealing noise about half of the times i turn it on. I usually just wait a few minutes and try again, and sometimes this works but sometimes it keeps squealing and I give up.

This is my first tube amp, and I'm aware that some of the parts need replacing every so often, but do you guys have any ideas what could be causing this noise?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhhh...I'd try the tubes first.

If you're not comfortable with changing them, just take them to your local music store and they'll do it for you with a minimal service charge and probably....1-tube.

A pre-amp tube is probably around $15 dollars.

A power amp tube...just a little more.

Now..if it's more involved...you need to take it in to be repaired anyway.

Hope that helps.

Randy

"Just play!"

Yeah, Randy's right; chances are, what you're describing is a preamp-tube wearing out and going microphonic on you; happens sooner with modern day tubes than the old ones, which would last longer.

With the amp on and the volume up some, you can carefully tap on each tube with something non-conductive like a chopstick or a Sharpy marker (one without any metal clip) to listen for a brief high-pitched whistly, squeally noise, which will indicate a microphonic tube.

If it is indeed only a preamp-tube (or more than one), it's simply a matter of pulling out the faulty one (once it's cooled off!), and carefully inserting a good new one. Be sure to line its pins up the same as the socket.

Before you remove any tubes, take a Sharpy marker and make an index line down the side of the tube and onto the side of the socket; observing the relationship of the line on the glass to the pins on the bottom of the tube, use that line on the socket to align the pins of the new tube so that you don't bend any.

If any pins are bent and don't want to line up correctly with the socket, take the plastic ink-cartridge tube out from a cheap plastic ball-point pen and slip it over the bent pin until it's butted up against the glass, and gently straighten the pin with it- otherwise, if you try using pliers or something else, you will likely crack the glass.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'd pull the tubes and have them checked...if any are bad, you have most likely found your problem...if you replace the power tubes be sure to buy matched replacements and have the bias set...the rest of the tubes don't have to be matched...if you don't find the problem, most music stores will know of an amp man who specializes in tube amps that can help you find the problem...
Take care, Larryz

i usually find the singers make a high pitched noise

Especially when you step on 'em- and really really funny high-pitched gurgling girly-screams if you're wearing the boots you stole from Gene Simmons. Works every time! :thu:

shhhhh don't mention the boots. it's a secret.

:D Hehhehhehh! Ohmigawd- can you just picture showing up at a rodeo wearing those Gene Simmons dragon boots??!!

:freak:http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/images/smilies/yelrotflmao.gif:whistle:

Archived