Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bob Dylan: bass player?

jeremy c

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw some footage of him playing that bass on a documentary I watched once... can't remember which channel it was on.

Who knew...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

There is a famous poster of Dylan that pictures him holding a Fender--in fact, these photos look like out takes from the session that produced the poster photograph. I don't know if he actually played bass on any of his recordings, but this pictures look to me like he was just fooling around.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

What timing- while on vacation last week, I saw a woman wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Dylan playing the Jazz bass. I've seen it before, but not in a long time. I hope he had fun playing that bass; and that a "real" bassist provided the tracks for the recordings.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Oddly the bottom pic is framed as a big poster-sized print at a Planet Sub in my hometown.

The rest of their stuff is Beatles memorabilia.... why thrown in Dylan with a Jazzfish? Random but cool.

He is fretting the thing and all. I'm sure he knew how to make it go "thump thump" as needed...

i don't know anything about fender bass amps but unless there's an input on the back there is nothing plugged in to that amp in the top pic... am i seeing that wrong? i'm on my phone so the images are small.

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Seen those before in some bio but great to have an online source.

Never heard BD play bass but one wonders if his skill was equal to Lennon's on some latter-day Beatles tracks... :rolleyes:

Judging from this recording from 1986 where Bob Dill, the singing pickle (we call him that b/c he's such a sour character), raps on a Kurtis Blow rec, the answer might be blowing in the wind.

Check the intro for a new appreciation of the value of timing practice.

It's repeated later over the rhythm track just past the 6:00 mark.

Bob has in his work, someitmes done some stunning turns of phrasing viv-a-vis lyric against music but I recall that at one time when asked whether he'd ever taken LSD & he said he didn't like it b/c it "put his timing off".

I confess to laughing.

Next question: does he play drums ?

Does anyone else recall the famous story of Dylan working in Nashville & observing Charlie McCoy playing bass during a song then picking up trumpet during the refrain to play a brief lick while maintaining the bassline ?

d=halfnote

Nobody's claiming that the pics were taken while recording. An old band of mine has a bunch of random pics that the tech took while we were setting up, tuning and generally goofing around...ah, free studio time.

the bottom pic does show what looks like a cord plugged into the bass...

things that make you go hmmmm...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

• 2 weeks later...

Archived