Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recommend me some post-aneurism Pat Martino

Roscoe East

I've been a Pat Martino fan for years, starting back in the 1970's...but I've also only ever heard his work from the 1970's. Never heard any of his albums post-aneurism, and haven't heard him play live in over 30 years.

Can anyone recommend some more recent recordings of Pat's that are worth checking out?

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All Sides Now is interesting for having him playing with so many guest artists (and some great ones, at that), and has some really nice moments, but overall it's a little inconsistent- it's one I most often pick for playing only a few specific tunes that I'm in the mood for at that given moment, rarely playing the whole thing- and might best be the second or third "post-aneurysm" album that you buy or download after Live at Yoshi's.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Interchange (1994) is excellent... the opener, "Catch," is a wonderful tune that just jumps out of the speakers. Great piano work by James Ridl.

Of the later Blue Note releases, my personal favorite is Think Tank (2003), mostly because of the amazing band (Joe Lovano on tenor, Gonzalo Rubalcaba on piano, Christian McBride on bass, Lewis Nash on drums). Live at Yoshi's (2000) is also excellent (organ trio with Joey DeFrancesco and Billy Hart) and his latest, Remember:Tribute To Wes Montgomery (2005) is too.

Off topic slightly, I just bought Willis Jackson's Bar Wars (1978), which I had overlooked before - pre-illness Martino at the peak of his powers playing again with the great Willis Jackson on tenor... just killing stuff.

Archived