Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Roscoe on video...

JBFLA

A couple of forumites have already seen these, but I thought I'd share...

Recently spent some time time at Full Sail Uni's sound stage recording two demo videos. We rarely play in a public forum and a DVD was paramount to booking our band. Reality was, we lost out on over 25K$ of jobs this past year because we didn't have a video to hand out or one available on our website. We've more than made up for it since these vids came out. S.FLA is very competitive as far as this genre is concerned.

Anyway - here's the link, and I'll post tech notes in a subsequent link for those who are curious...

http://solidgoldmusic.com/music_clips.html

Let me know what you think. My playing and the music choices notwithstanding (i.e. - nothing to write home about), I think that the Roscoe's tone is exactly what was spoken about in a Roscoe Forum TB thread called "Type of music, versatility".

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full Sail University offers any band with 50 minutes or more material the opportunity to come in and record (audio and video) their material for free. Granted, you are guinea pigs for the students, but... the price is right, and the Instructors are right there in the process. That "price" includes full access to the audio mix as well the video feed.

The audio mix consists of the raw feed as well as the FOH mix and a Remote mix that was sent to a completely separate room on campus. The raw feed was sent side stage for a monitor mix, and subsequently sent FOH and Remote. Video feeds consisted of 3 motorized/gyro stabilized mounted cameras and two shoulder held cameras. Their feeds were sent to a video director's monitoring desk at the FOH position.

All said, we were not completely sold with either off stage mix (it didn't sound like 'us')... so we took the raw audio feed and our sound man set the levels where he felt they were appropriate. Had he the option, he would have reset EQ and compression levels, but that was not the case.

Once we had audio feeds to our liking (or, as close as we could get them) we sent the audio and video feeds to a studio in New York, who did the editing and special effects.

For what it's worth - there was no 'punch in / punch out' editing on the audio. In actuality - we didn't even record full versions of the songs. We needed 10 - 20 seconds of "good footage" of each song and rarely recorded more than a verse / chorus / bridge of each song. In total, we recorded 47 'songs' in little more than 140 minutes of 'Tape Time'. All songs were one take. Considering we'd just come off a stint of 6 months, 3 nights a week at a club, we were pretty tight.

My set up was a direct line out of my Demeter Pre, and a mic on my ACME (located between one of the tens and the 5" mid). On some songs I used a MicroPog pedal where the original was a synth bass line. Not ideal, but effective, to some degree. Personally, I think my tone is brighter than recorded (more mic feed than DI, and a bit more compression than I care for) but, overall I'm quite satisified with the presense of the bass in the mix...

...of course, I had nothing to do with that...

...it was the Roscoe LG3000.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Yep, that sounds like a bass, alright.

Now for the important question; did you get to wear a cool zebra skin hat like the guy with the goldtop? You didn't get enough on-camera time to tell. Yeah, I know, the girls look better than you...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun and a good bit of work.

As for the 'important question' - yeah the guys have matching hats. The leader says it looks more professional. I think he's trying to keep from blinding the audience with the glare of the lights off our varying sized bald spots/thinning hairlines.

We just wanted to keep the music simple and sell 'the visual'. Our drummer always says that the people at those corporate / private party gigs "Listen with their eyes". We aim to please.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Archived