Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Uh... four auditions coming up.

Just an update.

The metal/prog band gave me a lot of extra material to work on and I did a dumb thing. I learned it all in series, then didn't take the time to revisit much of it. When there are lots of changing time signatures, fairly specific pre-written bass lines, and chords that don't really fit obviously into the key every now and then, this is a bad idea. The audition was okay but it could have gone a lot better--the consensus seemed to be, "You're a great bassist who seems rather unfamiliar with metal." Well, that last part about metal is fairly true. They're going to keep looking but apparently I'm still a candidate.

In a way, though, this is all for good. I went back to Mr. Original's place and he whipped out song after song of funk/R&B-oriented stuff that I just totally ate up. He said the previous week he hadn't been prepared for a bass player that liked to do that stuff (I didn't say I did, but I guess it was evident?). Apparently his goal is to provide rhythm and texture while myself and a drummer make a really deep pocket for him... yet he also wants me to take something like half (or more) of the four- to eight-bar solos mixed into several of the songs. As if the freedom to play fun basslines and be encouraged to do so weren't enough. I'm really psyched and every time we play I feel like I'm "home". (Ironically he's from MO and the music reminds me of one of my favorite artists in a similar acoustic texture + tight pocket vein.)

So yeah, I may or may not get that metal gig, but I don't think I have time for more than two gigs anyways, and since I wanted to leave room for a jazz group that meant I had to pick between these two. Well, the choosing may have been done for me, or not, but if it has I think it went my way...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happens, the connection with Mr. Original sounds great. Those connections can be enjoyed for the moment as much as used to build something.

The band I was in during the late 70s was a bit like that - great playing connections, great friendships. Less than great vocals, less than good business sense (and a singer who ultimately succumbed to his demons). What I remember most is the way we were unified.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Things are going nowhere with that jazz group--they just aren't very motivated to expand the band to include a true rhythm section. So I'm thinking of starting my own, first might put out a CL advert...

I love playing with Mr. Originals--and he may have found a drummer, that's a plus--but I also really want to just do a steady gig out of the Real Books playing standards and similar material... Between those two kind of gigs I think I could be really happy.

I also have an invitation to try out for the Anschutz Medical Campus orchestra, which is basically a bunch of scientists and doctors playing music together. Any suggestions about what to have worked up? Audition is Wednesday.

I also have an invitation to try out for the Anschutz Medical Campus orchestra, which is basically a bunch of scientists and doctors playing music together. Any suggestions about what to have worked up? Audition is Wednesday.

A fat nest egg and a Benz?

They call it an orchestra...is it a big band? If so, just keep your reading skills up and it should be fine.

Archived