Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What would you call?

Braxat

hmmm ever heard that little piece or song that because of the notes played it sounds "haunting"? what would this kind of music BE or what tunes do you know off so i can look them up, heres are a couple of examples:

from the game Diablo: (town song)

Austurias: hard not to know this one;)

i found this small piece in a beginners book but i def. enjoy it:

thanks and enjoy!!!!

thi

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's sorta a mixture of using minor and consistent utilization of specific intervals that are either "hollow sounding," like open fourths and fifths, suspended 3rds (either pulling it up to a fourth or down to a second), or dissonant intervals like some tritones found in Tristram. You can definitely achieve these haunting sounds also by being attentive to timbre, as the quality of the sound wouldnt be so haunting for instance if those classical guitarists played everything super twangy right by the bridge.

Btw, yay for asturias :D I love Bream's version as well as Vidovic's

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

They're definitely classical pieces, no question. Leyenda is a well-known piece among classical guitar devotees. That Diablo piece is really cool.... used to play that game, and Diablo II years ago.

I haven't played any serious classical pieces on guitar in a while, though. I really should try to get some of that back in my playing...

It's sorta a mixture of using minor and consistent utilization of specific intervals that are either "hollow sounding," like open fourths and fifths, suspended 3rds (either pulling it up to a fourth or down to a second), or dissonant intervals like some tritones found in Tristram. You can definitely achieve these haunting sounds also by being attentive to timbre, as the quality of the sound wouldnt be so haunting for instance if those classical guitarists played everything super twangy right by the bridge.

Btw, yay for asturias :D I love Bream's version as well as Vidovic's

wow! what other example for needing to learn theory other than i didnt understand half of this!!! jajaajaja =) cheers!

Well here, lemme try and help out a bit. :) Intervals like fourths and fifths are normal to guitar players. If you wanna play a fifth, play the first two notes of a powerchord right after each other, such as 5th fret of A string to 7th fret of D string. If you wanna play a fourth, you can play 5th fret of A to 5th fret of D. A tritone would be right in between, so to hear what a tritone sounds like, play 5th fret of A to 6th fret of D. You can play the notes of these intervals either one after the other or at the same time. Now, while you're playing them, see if you can hear what could be considered a "hollow" or "open" sound from the fourth and fifth intervals. Lots of composers will use these sounds to come across as maybe landscapish or tribal (though this obviously changes when you go into rock/punk/metal). As far as the tritone, play those and hear how awkward they sound together, especially when played at the same time.

As far as the chords, an example of a suspended chord that goes down to a second would be an Asus2 chord: x02200

An example of a sus chord that goes up to a fourth would be an Asus4 chord (also written just as Asus): x02230

Also, be sure to make the tone dark (but not muddy), by playing with your picking hand closer to the fretboard, so as to coax the deepest tones from your guitar.

Hopefully this helps :)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Intervals like fourths and fifths are normal to guitar players. If you wanna play a fifth, play the first two notes of a powerchord right after each other, such as 5th fret of A string to 7th fret of D string. If you wanna play a fourth, you can play 5th fret of A to 5th fret of D. A tritone would be right in between

I THINK this is the half of what i actually understood, heavily relating it to a12 bar blues atm...

tritone is the term i had not heard before!

=)

back to the non theroy side, you wouldnt happen to know any songs with thes "hollow" sound to them now would you?

in a happy way:

(Drifting by Andy McKee)

in a SUPER sad way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMx2SKIRkw4

(Schindler's List Theme by John Williams (the composer not the guitarist))

(Itzhak Perlman is the MAN btw :) hahaha-- he's the violinist)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

in a happy way:

(Drifting by Andy McKee)

in a SUPER sad way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMx2SKIRkw4

(Schindler's List Theme by John Williams (the composer not the guitarist))

(Itzhak Perlman is the MAN btw :) hahaha-- he's the violinist)

how dare you think i do not know who john williams is! hahahah ;)

just kidding!

first song reminds me too much of afraid to dance by don ross though

haha they performed a whole cd together (mckee and ross did haha) Everything on that cd is amazing, and I particularly love their rendition of Rylynn :)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Archived