Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RE the Metal Rising lesson by Gus G.

GreySeraph

This is mainly toward any staff that could help me out.

I'm reading the sheet music, and I dont see any sharps or flats, but there's definitely a lot of notes here listed differently in the tabs, such as the #4 (the D#) on beat 3 of the first measure. It's written as an E natural on the staff, but as 8th fret on the G string on the tab. There's other mistakes on the 2nd and 3rd examples for the notation as well, such as having fret 15 on the high E being represented as an F.

Could I get help here as to what exactly is asked?

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, welcome to the GPF, GreySeraph! Don't be a stranger, stick around.

Now, I'm going to suggest that this particular post be moved over to the GP Editors' Office Forum, where it will be much more likely for the magazines Editors to take note of it (ehrr, no pun intended). But by all means, come back and post again over here; pull up a chair, tell us about yourself, and talk music and guitars and amps and pedals- y'know, the four Basic Food Groups.

They (the editors and magazine staff) can be kinda busy, though, and sometimes response there is a little slow; so, you might also want to send 'em an e-mail for the "Feedback" column, at guitplyer@musicplayer.com .

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

oh for sure brotha. :) I fully intend to! I've been looking for a forum community that's more advanced and determined in their learning and what not and so far it looks cool and welcoming. You wouldnt happen to be a moderator that could send this into that Office Forum?

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

oh for sure brotha. :) I fully intend to! I've been looking for a forum community that's more advanced and determined in their learning and what not and so far it looks cool and welcoming. You wouldnt happen to be a moderator that could send this into that Office Forum?

you found the right plce then,this be home for guitar geeks and wannabe geeks alike!

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Oh i'm not gus hahaha. I was referring to a lesson in the newest guitar player issue by Gus G. of Firewind.

As far as myself, my name's Derek and i'm a guitar major at CSUF going towards my B.A. In the meantime, I teach (privately and at a studio), I gig, and I also manage the Orange County Symphony Orchestra and the Orange County Wind Symphony, and I perform with them when they need a plucked string instrument (like i did banjo recently for their Rhapsody in Blue performance). I help worship lead at my church (Vineyard), I play in a rock band, and I'll play jazz with buddies every now and then. Recently I've become an 8-string guitar aficionado-in-training. If you're ever in socal, hit me up :)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

hey guitarzan, i listened to your soundclick and some of the tones you get are pretty cool. They got this gnarly brit feel sometimes. What amp are you using? or are you going through modeling?

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

oh for sure brotha. :) I fully intend to! I've been looking for a forum community that's more advanced and determined in their learning and what not and so far it looks cool and welcoming.

:blush: Uhmn, what, who, us?? ;):D

I'm a classical guitar major and jazz minor who just absolutely fell in LOVE with Paul Galbraith's Bach transcriptions, did some research, and found out that he played 8 string. I had to get one so I did...

:eek::freak:Weee're not wooorthyy!! ;):D:thu:

Just kiddin'; but, I am just a play-at-home guitar-geek for the most part, and one who knows he could reeeaally stand to improve with a little- or a lot- more dedicated practice and study... :blush:

I do happen to play fingerstyle 100% of the time, but think a little more Jeff Beck than Julian Bream. I have some fair understanding of the basics of "music theory", though I'm prinmarily a "play by ear" guy while playing, figuring things out before or after. And I've borrowed heavily from a Jazzer's taste in harmony, even though I pretty much consider myself a rock and blues player.

You wouldnt happen to be a moderator that could send this into that Office Forum?

:blush: Uhmn, what, who, me?? ;):D:thu:

Naaa, but I did notify the admin/moderators that it might not be a bad idea in my humble opinion to put a copy of your initial post over on the GP Editors' Office Forum, while leaving it intact here- being as I had no way of knowing yet whether you'd ever even be back (we get a good share of one-hit wonders here, not to mention spammnation).

You can hop to other forums under the umbrella of the MusicPlayer Forums network by going to the bottom-right corner of the main 'page of any given forum here, where the posted threads are listed, where you'll see a little drop-down menu tagged as "Hop to"; select the MP forum you want to go to, and then hit the "Go" toggle to its immediate right.

hey thanks man :) I appreciate how welcoming you and everyone else is on here~ I got so tired of the bs over at ultimate-guitar.com and how it seemed like it was flooded with all the people you could think that would hang out at guitar center to play Stairway to Heaven and Crazy Train all day hahaha.

And man, I LOVE Jeff Beck! I swear every single teacher I've had was a no-doubt fan of his; in fact, my hero Steve Vai was totally inspired by him and claims him as an influence haha. I got ahold of a transcription of his Somewhere Over the Rainbow which I plan to tackle soon :) Hopefully that works out hahaha. Do you live in SoCal? Lets jam sometime or something ahaha.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

hey thanks man :) I appreciate how welcoming you and everyone else is on here

No one else is welcoming. Just these three douchebags.

On behalf of the rest of us, take a f***ing hike already.

:D

(just kidding)

Griff name-calls because he loves... he's such a loving, caring, nurturing pr!ck! :D

i definitely feel the love. It's so thick I could cut it like butter. He probably likes listening to slow jams and smooth jazz :)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Josh Herbert, and I am responding to the October 2009 edition of Guitar Player magazine, specifically the lesson on diatonic shredding by Gus G., the new guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne. I gave the lesson my best shot. You can view the lesson at www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHIDfd62DmA

Thanks,and I hope you enjoy! You can also check out all my cover solos at www.youtube.com/joshherbert1 Cheers everyone!

Archived