Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: News report - Woodstock 40 years later.

jlrush

Evidently this weekend is the anniversary of the Woodstock concert, and NBC's Brian Williams covered the story of a young couple who made the album cover.

Their name is Erkeline and they're the ones who were cuddled in the blanket on one of the early mornings. They were married two years later and are still married today. That's a pretty cool thing since my generation has gone through so much divorce over the years.

Coincedently, my wife just bought me the CD last month and have been listening to it alot. Ahh, memories.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty cool eh? A whole lot better than the Woodstock a few years back when they rioted and tore the place apart.

That's what happens when you try to hold a festival on the tarmac of an old air force base, and charge exorbitant ammounts of money for water during hot summer days.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Old Air Force Base?

That was held in the town I grew up in -- Saugerties, NY -- no air force base there.

Not to say the whole thing wasn't a stinking mess, because it was.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

My brother and his wife actually met at Woodstock. They were very happily married until he passed away a few years back.

They had The Who's Listening To You as the recessional at their wedding.

Push the button Frank.

Yeah, and um, ShaNaNa at Woodstock, opening for Jimi Hendrix?

What the HECK was that?

Man, back in '69, you could tune on your local radio station(AM, because FM wasn't really all that common back then) and hear Broadway show tunes followed sequentially by Aretha Franklin, The Beatles, Bobby Darin, Peggy Lee, The Monkees, Otis Redding, Booker T & The MGs, The Grass Roots, The American Breed, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Ian, Bobby Hebb, and a hundred other one-hit wonders of every style imaginable. Actually, it carried over into the free-form FM format days, when you could tune into your local ultra-cool FM station and hear everything from Heart to Prue Prairie League to Paul Horn to Return to Forever to Frank Zappa in the space of an hour.

Today's approach to radio programming is called narrowcasting; you pick a target demographic, find the style of music most likely to attract it's constituents, and that's all you play. I feel sorry for kids today, because I got exposed to the richest, most varied virtual minestrone of music imaginable. Nowadays, all you get is the samo-samo, and what ther is of it isn't really very good.

So Sha-Na-Na opening for Hendrix was no biggie back then, not like it would be today...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Old Air Force Base?

That was held in the town I grew up in -- Saugerties, NY -- no air force base there.

Not to say the whole thing wasn't a stinking mess, because it was.

Woodstock '99 (the last one) was held at the old Grifiss Air Force Base in Rome, NY. It ended with riots, the burning of concessions, and numerous reports of sexual assaults.

A far cry from 1969 or the event that was held in Saugerties in 1994.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

What the HECK was that?

Man, back in '69, you could tune on your local radio station(AM, because FM wasn't really all that common back then) and hear Broadway show tunes followed sequentially by Aretha Franklin, The Beatles, Bobby Darin, Peggy Lee, The Monkees, Otis Redding, Booker T & The MGs, The Grass Roots, The American Breed, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Ian, Bobby Hebb, and a hundred other one-hit wonders of every style imaginable...snip, snip....So Sha-Na-Na opening for Hendrix was no biggie back then, not like it would be today...

That's what I liked about 60's AM radio. :grin:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

What the HECK was that?

Man, back in '69, you could tune on your local radio station(AM, because FM wasn't really all that common back then) and hear Broadway show tunes followed sequentially by Aretha Franklin, The Beatles, Bobby Darin, Peggy Lee, The Monkees, Otis Redding, Booker T & The MGs, The Grass Roots, The American Breed, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Ian, Bobby Hebb, and a hundred other one-hit wonders of every style imaginable. Actually, it carried over into the free-form FM format days, when you could tune into your local ultra-cool FM station and hear everything from Heart to Prue Prairie League to Paul Horn to Return to Forever to Frank Zappa in the space of an hour.

Today's approach to radio programming is called narrowcasting; you pick a target demographic, find the style of music most likely to attract it's constituents, and that's all you play. I feel sorry for kids today, because I got exposed to the richest, most varied virtual minestrone of music imaginable. Nowadays, all you get is the samo-samo, and what ther is of it isn't really very good.

So Sha-Na-Na opening for Hendrix was no biggie back then, not like it would be today...

It was that way into the early '70's. 66 WNBC, 77 WABC, Cousin Brucie! I found out about so much great music just listening to the radio, and it wasn't the same 20 songs oer and over, either.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Seventy SE-ven w-ABC - DAN Ingram

Th Guess Who followed by Neil Diamond followed by The Doors followed by Sly & The Family Stone followed by....

If you don't like the genre of music they're playing, wait 3 minutes.

Push the button Frank.

Archived