Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

regular scale to short scale transition

foq1978

Hello,

For over 13 years I've been playing a regular scale bass (a jazz bass copy from washburn, if you really need the detail). I am thinking of getting myself a new instrument to replace my current one (I am not thinking about keeping both).

A Fender or Squier Jazz Bass would be the natural choice. A Ric would be a distant dream. However, I've been thinking about getting a short scale bass.

Why? I am thinking about confort. I am aware of some sound and style limitations (do think is possible to slap a bit on a short scale, at least?). However, my fear is that I will never be able to play ion regular scale again (for lack of exercise needed for walking such long distances). Do you think that could happen? Did anybody here made this transition? Any regrets?

Thank you all very much!

Chico

------------------------------------------

http://hearthebass.blogspot.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's like saying that a guitar player could never play a bass because of the scale difference. You will certainly need to make some adjustments but I don't think you should have a problem. I think the biggest difference (and correct me if I'm wrong because I don't have any short-scale basses) will be the string tension.

I started out with a short scale bass then transitioned to a long scale. It did take a little getting used to at first. Since then I've goofed around with some short scale basses and they did feel a little foreign to me but I don't think it would take all that long to get used to.

In short, there may be a very brief period of getting used to going from short to long and vice-versa, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Especially if you keep up with both.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Tom Capasso switches from long scale (Ben Loy sig/custom ) to short scale (Gibson EB3) and seems to be very competent at it. I'm sure there's a little mental and physical adjustment that needs to be made, but nothing to lose your shirt over.

And that's the long and short of it.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I think if I wanted a short scale bass, I'd get a copy of a Beatle bass (or the real thing if I wanted to spend the money). I'd probably have to get a Beatle wig to go with it.

It's not a big deal to switch scale. Every guitarist who has a Fender guitar (25 1/2) and a Gibson guitar (24 3/4) is switching scale. (I'm one of those people).

There are a reasonable number of people on this forum who switch between upright bass and electric....that's a big switch in scale, 34" to 41".

Sometimes I play my Ashbory bass...it's got an 18" scale.

I don't like the sound of short scale basses, myself. Kramer Dukes, Hofners, even Danelectro Longhorns sound "plunky" to me.

I'd love to try a Knuckle Quake, which is a 39.5" scale 5 string. That's GOTTA rock some low end...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Thanks a lot you all! I am practically sold!

As for:

Especially if you keep up with both.

I won't... that's the problem. :)

Anyway, I'll check the forum for some tips on models and brands. Do you have any recommendations?

Fender has some cool short scale basses. The mustang or bronco come to mind. I used to have a musicmaster which I don't think they make anymore. Those Birdsong basses look cool but I hear they are expensive. Flea from the Chilipeppers now has a line of short scale versions of his long scale basses. Actually I would think just about everybody that makes basses has a short scale bass in their product line.

Oh, and don't worry about going to a long scale after playing a short scale. It will only take a brief period of letting the muscle memory reprogram a little but it's really no big deal at all.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived