Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G4 500...help me out mac people

First, let me say I know nothing about mac's. Okay, now, my question is: Will a G4 500 be enough horsepower for me? I am planning on using this mac to do my sequencing, although I plan on converting my P.C. into a sampler. I would like to be able to run a few VSTi's, or soft samplers, alongside say 10-14 tracks of audio with minimal plug-in's . Is this asking too much? In the P.C. world this would definitely not be enough, but I know that mac's differ. Help me out. Thanks.
I have no homepage.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go for it. You'll be fine. I run 24 tracks of 24 bit audio, lotsa plugins, and TONS of automation in Pro Tools on a B&W G3 350. Never crashes. Just make sure you DEFINITELY use a seperate hard drive for the audio. I use, and highly recommend, OWC Mercury Elite FireWire drives. 60GIG drives are $179. OWC Mercury Elite Pro 7200RPM FireWire Drive Solutions order# OWCMEFW60GB 1-800-275-4576 Have fun.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]I run 24 tracks of 24 bit audio, lotsa plugins[/b][/quote]Softsynths eat a lot more,especially in conjuction with plugs,but you should be able to get a workable balance,especially if you do a lot of rendering of soft synths.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]posted by Alndln: [b]Softsynths eat a lot more,especially in conjuction with plugs,but you should be able to get a workable balance,especially if you do a lot of rendering of soft synths.[/b][/quote]Oh, yeah, I didn't think of that. But still, what the brother said. I use synths, but I play them and record them as audio. Kinda different yo? Still, you gotta just dive in, don't be shy, start recording and making music. Like the brother said, you'll find a balance, and your system will tell you what it can handle and what it can't. But you will only find those boundaries by testing those boundaries. Then it's a matter of working within those boundaries, and simultaneously innovating on ways to stretch the envelope of what your system can handle. It reminds me of a thread that's currently on the Gearslutz forum, about how to get a DAW to do things that one would do on a large-scale mixing console. Once you start thinking "out of the box," it's amazing what you can get even the most rudimentary rig to accomplish. What you need is a vision of what you want to accomplish in the end...then work backwards, and innovate techniques to accomplish that. Make it happen. Fortune favors boldness.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

A G4 500 is more than enough horsepower for the uses you described, as others have already pointed out. The amount of audio tracks isn't really a problem, as you will be able to get many. Get either a second internal IDE drive, or a firewire drive, or both, and use that for audio. Just don't expect to go softsynth crazy. You'll be able to run a few, but you''ll quickly run out of CPU power, if attemping to run a few heavy duty softsynths or effects. alon

Archived