Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying Copper Tape For Shielding (Dallas Area)

JipThePeople

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard that you can use aluminum foil too. aslo you might check your local radio shack or any electronic store. oh and i have also heard of useing an aluminum based paint. just some ideas.

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

Hmmn, do a Google search for "copper shielding tape Dallas Texas" and "3M Copper Foil Tape Dallas Texas", a few results that come up might be of some use to you...

I'd think that some of the electronic/electrical supply places around there (there MUST be some) would have some...

If you can't find any nearby for in-store purchase, try Mouser Electronics and Carvin as options to Stewart-MacDonald.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Or you could do as Fender did originally... thin copper sheets (probably find them at hobby or craft stores, but that would be the pricy way. A metal shop might be a better choice...) cut, bend, solder, and make 'cups' to fit the cavities. Don't forget the foldover tab to make contact with the pickguard, which gets regular foil, glued on. Oh, I've seen older guitars that had a piece of copper cut to fit the bottom of each pickup cavity.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

(Sixty-Cycle Hum): :/ "You'll never take me alive, Copper!!" :rimshot::D

(Copper Tape): :cool:

(Sixty-Cycle Hum): :freak: "EAGHWW!! Ya got me! Foiled again!!" :rimshot::D

Wait, I've got another one, where this enormous electrolytic-capacitor, hands on hips, is grimacing down upon a wimpy, tiny little resistor cowering at his feet, and he says...

"RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!" :rimshot::D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Does it have to be copper? You can buy "metal" tape from the hardware store. It's that roll of tape you use to connect dryer vent tubes. It's made of a shiny metal.

It just has to conduct to provide a proper shield, and be connected to the circuit, but there will also be an amount of shielding provided by the material and its thickness. One never knows what divergent materials will do... I mean, will bed foam work as well as foam designed for audio purposes to be an audio absorber? Who knows, as there are no specs for that product when used as an audio product replacement.

The cups provided in the early Fenders were pretty beefy. Later designs aren't near so.

Another options is the conductive paint sold in guitar shops... you just have to remember to provide a connection point, either by painting under the pots and allowing the physical connection to be made by the pot case, or by putting a screw through the paint and attaching a wire to the screw and soldering it to a pot case. Again, I do not know how -much- shielding is provided by such solutions.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Jip, have you tried Hobby Lobby or Michels?

I seem to vaguely remember copper foil leaf, but it may have been just gold.......

If it is the standard 'leaf', it is very, very thin and not likely a good shield. Such decorative foils are quite delicate. They do come in aluminum for sure ( a lot of architectural 'gold leaf' is aluminum, overpainted with a tinted gold-tone varnish.)

Steve Martin

Archived