Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New member has a question about pedals

bsg 75

Here's my pedal board.

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/images/pedalboard.web.jpg

I own a lot more pedals than this, but what is currently on the board is:

top row left to right:

Boss Chorus CE-5

EBS OctoBass (adds an octave down)

Digitech Bass Driver (overdrive and distortion)

Digitech Bass Squeeze (compressor)

Boss Synthesizer SYB-3 (adds synth sounds to the bass signal)

Godlyke Power-All which powers all the pedals except the Mu-Tron III

Power supply for the Mu-Tron III

bottom row left to right:

Musitronics Mu-Tron III (envelope filter...this is a vintage pedal which has had various modifications made to it)

ElectroHarmonix Steel Leather (expander...the opposite of a compressor)

Loooper (this is a switching device. when button 1 is pressed the bass goes through the effects and light 1 which is blue lights up. when the light is off, the bass goes directly back to the amp. When the TM button is pressed the bass goes to the tuner and the T.Send orange light goes on. No sound goes to the amp)

Korg CA-30 tuner

Last Saturday's gig was the first time I've used the pedal board in almost a year. As usual when I brought it out, the other musicians and the soundman all groaned. We did three 45 minute sets. I used the chorus on one song and the distortion and compression together on two others, all at very subtle settings.

It might be another year before I use any of this stuff again. Who knows.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug Wimbish uses many a pedal. At least at Bass Player Live a few years ago, he had quite an extensive pedal set-up. It's sort of cool to see and hear him do his thing with all those effects. However, it's certainly different whether he's playing solo or playing with a group. That said, he's definitely an effects user.

He's played on recordings by or performed with Living Colour, The Sugar Hill Gang, Talib Kweli, Mos Def's band Black Jack Johnson, and many, many others, and with many of these folks you can hear his use of effects.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I have just not been happy with my sound on stage, but it may be that a pedal wont fix it.

One point not yet made (to my cursory reading) is important here.

When you say "my sound on stage", do you mean what the audience is hearing, or what you hear where you stand. Often times I find that the sound where I stand is not optimal, owing to where I stand, where the amp is, and the other noise coming from my band (we make a lot of sound). I'm told that things sound good out front (by other musicians), so I don't do anything to improve my stage sound. I just need to hear myself enough to be able to play.

Again, because my band makes a lot of sound, I'm not able to make interesting sounds that can be heard. Even distortion seems to get lost in our sauce. So I use my SamsAmp (I have the 3-switch version) for boost and what amounts to EQ changes. My only other bass pedal is a tuner.

Tom

(note - I do have one other pedal on my board - the Mutator - which is a microphone foot switch custome designed and made by Cohizzle Enterprises - Jeremy)

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived