Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tom Hamilton's Strings?

Schubasto

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum Schubasto. Sorry that I can't help you with your question, and I don't know anything about Gibson strings. Maybe someone else can help with that one.

Hang out for awhile.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I do know that he uses a variety of different basses: Fender, Sadowsky and Gibson, among others, as well as 4 and 5 string models so I would imagine he uses a variety of string types if not brands.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

After searching a few sites including Gibson, I can not find any mention of any Gibson brand bass strings... there are some marketed under the Epiphone brand name, but I seriously doubt Tom would use those; they are advertised as entry level economy strings...

Good luck....

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Welcome to the forum! I tried looking it up but I too couldn't find anything. You could try checking out the endorsers lists at the various string manufactuers websites and see if his name turns up on any of them.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I mostly was curious, since he gets some of my favorite bass sounds.

I realize that since I'm using a P-Bass and a Yamaha T-100 (guitar) amp (which has just the right amount of breakup to get the amount of distortion I want, which I know is semi-sacrilige, but I like it anyways!), I won't sound anything like him,, but there's still something about his tone that I really dig.

I also suspect that he uses only 2 types of strings--1 type for his 4 string basses, another for his 5s--but I have no info one way or the other!

The March 1995 issue of Bass Player has Tom Hamilton on the cover.

The article doesn't have one word about strings.

Getting someone's recorded sound live is not easy, even getting your own recorded sound live is not easy.

Just keep the sound you strive for in your brain and eventually you will get closer.

Keep in mind also that over the years he has gone through a variety of different basses, from the Hofner "Beatle Bass" to Fenders to Gibson Les Paul and Thunderbird basses, even Parkers not too awfully long ago, and he now uses his Sadowskys and some other customs. Each of which I'm sure sound quite different even with the same type of string... So if you're only using a P Bass, do like jeremy says: keep the sound in your head and experiment with strings, pickups and other things to come closer to it. Eventually you will find what you're looking for.

If it might help, I believe he is a big fan of Nordstrand pickups...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

If it might help, I believe he is a big fan of Nordstrand pickups...

Could help to shape his tone.

And apparently Ampeg amps.

Could definitely help to shape his tone.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

And apparently Ampeg amps.

According an article in BP, he used G-K heads and Hartke cabs before that...

How do you nail down the sound of a player who uses such a variety of gear?

Answer: with a variety of gear...

March '06 article.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Not to mention the Tom was a fingerstyle player for a long time, that will affect his tone as well. Aerosmith is gret, but a lot of studio post production goes into their sound as well.

I agree with Jeremy, work with what you have to get the tone you want. You have an all around workorse in the P Bass, you probably don't need to get involved in trying different pickups.

Welcome to the forum.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• 4 years later...

Archived