Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Bass Company... anyone ever heard of them?

DanYmaL X

I found this little guy on craigslist: Electric Bass Guitar - T.B.C. 4 String - Plum - $275

... I kind of like it, but I've never heard of The Bass Company... according to their website, all hand made in Bolivar, Missouri... has anyone ever had experience with these? Or even heard of them?

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah... on reading the Harmony Central reviews (as always, taken with a whole bag of salt,) I see several different locations for The Bass Company, some say they are chinese made, some US, their website says made in Missouri and I emailed the guy on craigslist and he said they are made in Kansas... looking at the pic it looks to my eye like an asian made bass, has very similar lines to a lot of the Korean or Chinese mass produced basses sold under various brand names. But it's still a nice looking bass, and I will probably go look at it and try it out this weekend, just for kicks. If it is decent I may have a new fish to hang on the wall.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I know I'm going to get flamed for this-- but I can't let it go.

These sub-$500 basses possess beautiful bodies and a sculpted, streamlined heel, with flush-mounted washers instead of a big, blingy neck plate.

We can't get these details on $1300 Fenders because...?

TBC was founded by a former peavey employee. he was their china liaison before he started his own gig. this happened shortly before i was there. (if i recall the story correctly.)

most of the reviews are quite favorable.

we can't get these deals on fender because they insist on manufacturing in mexico and the US for their higher end offerings. they also manufacture in indonesia and other southeast asian locations under the squier name. but it's your fault if you turn your nose up at a squier because it's not a "real" fender, whatever that is.

robb.

We can't get these details on $1300 Fenders because...?

Because that's the way it's been done for years and it works. If they change something, people will complain and be pushed towards the "vintage" lines. Oh, there will be an upcharge too.

The bass looks nice, I like the color. If it has a decent pickup, decent setup, and a neck that can't be used on Robin Hood's next adventure, you should be OK. First mod, do something to the bland headstock. Liberal application of gaffer tape should do.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Archived