Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Age to play in a bar?

Mr. Bizarro

I'm potentially trying out for a band that frequently plays in bars. The thing is, I'm 19 years old.

I contacted the bandleader, who said that 19 was a bit young for some of the venues. However, I've also been told that it would be legal, since technically I would be working for the bar. I don't want to waste the band's time with an audition if I won't be able to play, but I also don't want to miss out on an opportunity just because of misinformation.

The only real contact I've had with the band is exchanging contact information after they responded to my Craigslist ad (to which I have added my age to avoid any more confusion), so we haven't had much of a chance to discuss it. Naturally I'll respect the bandleader's decision when it comes up, so even if it is legal, it's up to whether he's comfortable with it. I'd still like to be informed about the legality, though, so that when and if he calls I can either reassure him about it or politely decline.

Is there a nationwide guideline for this, or is it a state-by-state regulation? If it is up to the state, where should I look for the age for my state? (Idaho, in case anybody wants to go above and beyond.) I've done some searching, to no avail. Thanks for whatever input you decide to give.

Here's a tip: Try to eat everything. You'd be surprised how much is edible.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm 16, and I've played a couple of bar gigs this year. The owner is the bar is a nice guy who's very upfront about things with the band, but the bar has seen its share of trouble. My entire band, aside from one member, is under 18, and he told us that he had checked the necessary laws and that we were fine to play in the bar with our parents' permission. This is in North Carolina, so I'm not sure how it will be where you live, but I assume it will be fine since you're over 18.

I played my first at 15 - had to come and go by the back door.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I played my first at 15 - had to come and go by the back door.

But that was before they had drinking age laws and he only got in because his guitarist was turning water into PBR. BAM!

Seriously though, you can sell alcohol at a store and serve it at a retaurant when you're 18 so it's not a matter of if it's legal (because it is) but rather whether the bar owners will fuss over it or not. Depending on the situation it might be better to point out your age when first speaking with the bar owner or it might be better to simply not say anything.

I think it will vary by state as the drinking laws do. Call a bar owner where you think you might play and ask. See Davio's last paragraph above, that's the way I understand it is in most places.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Our drummer is only 18, and we've had absolutely no problem with him playing at any bars. I was talking with the owner of the last bar we were at, and he brought up the same point. He said "If anyone asks, he was employed by the bar." That's here in MO though. I'd check your local and state laws, but here you only have to be 18 to serve alcohol, or work in a bar. And, I have seen younger band members(16-17) that have been denied at the door.

You know, this is one of those things that I think tends to be pretty fluid and ever-changing. When I first started playing in bands, I played in a place when I was about your age. I also hung out there and drank when I wasn't playing. I had a gig there the night I turned 21. We announced my B-Day, but I didn't have the heart to tell them that I was just turning 21, since I had been drinking there for years.

Times have changed and things have gotten a lot more strict. Regardless of whether anybody thinks it's OK or not, you don't want to inadvertantly screw the bar, and then end up screwing the band. I would try to check with some authority - ideally your state liquor control, and see what they say. That would cover your butt (and the band's, and the bar's) for sure!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The music school where I taught for many years, Blue Bear School of Music , puts on student shows at the end of each semester in a nightclub. Most of the students are adults, but the students who are under age are allowed to play in the shows, but not allowed to stay inside the club when they are not playing.

I certainly know very little, even better, nothing, on those details within the US's laws. Here in Venezuela, back in the 80s, I played my first gigs on public venues (not necessarily bars) at 14/15 years old. I played keyboards with a band back then, and my dad had the bass player (the older guy in the band) sign some document with a lawyer in which he was like some kind of tutor or representative and where he assumed all responsibility on whatever might happen to me. It worked out fine, and by the time I was 16, I was already gigging on bars without hassle. I don't know whether this may work on the US, but you could ask a lawyer or legal counselor...

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Archived