Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any suggestions on a good beginners Guitar?

TinkerDave

Thanks for all the good advice on my last post about buying an electric guitar.I'm grateful for the help.

My next question is should I start lessons on an acoustic guitar and if so what would be some of your suggestions for type and make.I want to learn right and have a good foundation to build on.I'd be interested in your thoughts.And as always thanks for the help.

Tinker

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An acoustic is a nice safe way to start because you can get a very nice acoustic for $200-$300 whereas for the same money trying to buy an electric and an amp you'd end up with junk.

Also, an acoustic will generally have a thicker neck and be strung with heavier gauge strings so you will build up more strength learning on it and when you switch to an electric it feel feel "faster". And the acoustic is a lot more portable than an electric & amp.

I bought a very nice Mitchell acoustic/electric for $229 that sounds great and plays very nice. I think that Yamamha and Ibenez make nice acoustic/electrics in that same range too.

Walden, Yamaha, Ibanez, Wahburn, Epiphone, Art & Luthierie, Taylor, and Takemine all make good lower priced instruments. I'm somewhat partial to Ovations, but they're an acquired taste.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

These days inexpensive instruments are as well-made as they've ever been.

Rather than recommend a particular instrument, I suggest that you try as many models as you can & pay attention to how well they seem to fit your fretting hand, how comfortable they are when held in playing position & which sound good to you, with a well-rounded tone, equally full in the bass and the treble.

A guitar that's uncomfortable will put you right off, whereas one you enjoy playing will make your lessons & practices more fun.

When you find some of those, check how well each one's frets are set, that is, in terms of playing each note throughout the range & listening for buzzes, even loudness & changes any in tone that demonstrate a flaw in that particular instrument.

Don't be afraid to pick a used model, either. They can be a real bargain.

d=halfnote

I have a Seagull S6 Spruce which I really like and I believe I paid $300 for it. The fact that it was made by our Canadian neighbors was a big plus with me. I really did not want to buy a Chinese or other cheap Asian import (Yamaha the exception).

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

Walden, Yamaha, Ibanez, Wahburn, Epiphone, Art & Luthierie, Taylor, and Takemine all make good lower priced instruments. I'm somewhat partial to Ovations, but they're an acquired taste.

Ovations are great, actually. If you can get a good one for $250-400 US, it'll last you a while. True, the laminated tops in this range probably don't age as well tonally, but they are more durable, so they're less likely to warp over time.

Not to mention the Lyrachord composite bowl... on smaller super shallow bodies, the guitar tends to slip while you're sitting down, so you'll need a good strap to use while playing. Also, they tend to impart a slightly metallic tone, but that complements the wood top well for my tastes.

(Not to mention, having the onboard 3 band EQ w/ bridge piezo and onboard tuner rocks big time! :))

My dad's Walden is a great, well balanced guitar. It's hard to believe that the top is laminated. No electronics on that one, but it's perfect as it is. He got that for just over $300, with a Walden gig bag included.

Archived