Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig bag question

jeremy c

Does anybody have Brian's phone number? I lost it with one of my old cell phones but I tried emailing him a week or so ago...no reply.

Scratch that. In a crazy bit of randomness I just checked my email and Sr. Nuts just replied tonight. He's good. Just busy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that this topic (with varied questions and slants) came up.

I use a large wheeled duffle bag for my gigs with Stonefly. It has a lower section (zippered) where I put the heavy stuff (2 mic stands, guitar stand, 100 ft. power cable), and that zip is now broken. The thing weighs a ton (I also carry mic/speaker/etc. cables, mics, and all the "ask the bassplayer" stuff). And now I have to replace it.

On my recent foray with my ex-guitarist and She Hates Me (see other post somewhere on this forum), I knew I didn't need the full Stonefly duffle, but wanted to bring a few cables and a mic stand. I hate carrying mic stands, but noticed that I had an old Fender faux-tweed gigbag (from my BenLoy bass) that isn't being used. I threw what I needed in there, and it worked pretty well.

So now I'm thinking about using that gig bag for my stands, and getting a smaller suitcase for the cables/mics/etc. I'm not thrilled about having two things to haul instead of one, but it may work out better by not ripping the heck out of the one big bag.

Anyway, the message here is that a guitar gigbag may have more uses than carrying a guitar.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

It took me a long time to come around to the whole gigbag thing but nowadays I love 'em and use one about 95% of the time. Like JC pointed out, I'll use a HSC on the rare occasion that I'm loading my basses in with the rest of the band equipment.

I have 3 different bags I use. One is a Godin that I picked up cheap when my local music store was getting rid of a bunch of used bags. It dosen't have any stiffeners in it but it is very well padded and has a big accessory pocket.

I also have a "Road Runner Pro" that I picked up at GC. It is a very good bag for a reasonable price. It has been getting a lot of use for over a year and still looks brand new.

My third bag is a Warwick that came with my Rockbass Corvette. A good bag but not as rugged as the Road Runner nor as well padded as the Godin.

The InCase and fancy leather cases sure are sexy, but I don't have that kinda cash! :(

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I've got a Road Runner bag for my resonator. It does a great job of protecting it, and it's got plenty of gear room.

The case my Aerodyne lives in is one of those hybrid rigid nylon full size cases... it's not the best, but I'm just not motivated to spend more money on another case right now, so I'm living with it. There are some really nice ultra-protective gig bags out there that I'll probably look into one of these days.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

This will fix what ails you Jeremy. Very simple fix, and greater stability than velcro:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/31279275_8d0986089c.jpg

I've done it to a number of straps to fix them to my preferred length. If you do a neat job and match the colour it's pretty well invisible also.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking pretty strongly about grabbing an incase "Dub" bag for two basses. Having a fretted and a fretless at all times would be nice...

The #1 thing that improved my fretless playing was buying a double gig bag (in my case, a Mooradian 15 years ago) so that I always had my fretless bass with me at every rehearsal and every gig. Just being able to bring it with me everywhere easily allowed me to play it whenever appropriate (rather than having to plan in advance "oh, gee, do I really need a fretless on this gig?") and as we all know, the more ya do it, the better ya get.

Double gig bags ftw!

Archived