Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Awesome bassist-- but never heard of him!

calypsocoral

Okay, so I went onto an online bass retailer, called "Bass Central" (www.basscentral.com) and found an embedded YouTube video of a guy named Beaver Felton. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor!

So, I am kinda wondering-- the players who get the buzz among the bass community include Billy Sheehan, Jeff Berlin, Vic Wooten, and Steve Bailey. From what I saw in that vid, this guy probably is among that caliber of player-- so why is he hardly ever mentioned anywhere?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard of Beaver but only because of the store.

There are plenty of superb players who don't get the big press.

Indeed. Quite a few on this forum in fact. Some I've been lucky enough to hear in person.

Push the button Frank.

Several years ago, Davio and I (along with former Lowdown posters ATM and BGO) had a GTG at BassCentral. On the phone, or by e-mail, Beaver is a nice enough guy - but when we got there (and we had arranged this ahead of time) he made sure we had the run of the shop. BC is primarily a warehouse - as Beaver puts it, most of his business is by Internet or MailOrder. But, they have everything you could ask for out on the floor. He made sure we were welcome and had the staff pulling basses off the wall and hooking up rigs that probably had never been wired up before. Toward the end of our visit, his business partner (Dave Larue - Dixie Dregs, et al) and staff member KC put on a mini clinic comping and taking turns soloing over a recorded drum track. KC played a heavily modded Jazz and Dave played a MM Bongo. Both players killed and had everyones attention. Sick, phat chops - I think KC was all of 19 at the time, and I don't believe he's there anymore.

Beaver started the "Superchops for Bass" series quite a while back. Since then he became wheelchair bound from an accident. He doesn't talk much about it, but it doesn't seem to slow him down a step.

As we were leaving, he handed out CDs and T-shirts, and invited us back. Davio and ATM and I came up with a Birthday idea for Sweet Willie (pre-Mod days) where we took a picture of the four of us in front of a wall of Alembics and holding our favorite bass of the day (for me - a Lull; for Davio - a Dingwall I believe) and put it on a T-Shirt. We captioned it "My Lowdown 'friends' went to Bass Central in Orlando - and all I got was this T-Shirt.".

We sent one shirt to SW and another to Beaver. Beaver sent me an e-mail saying that he framed the shirt - as far as I know, it still has a place on the wall of Bass Central.

Nice Guy with some "SuperChops", as advertised.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Wow Jim...how the heck did you dig that old thing up?

Beaver's a great guy. I still have that "Superchops 4 Bass" CD. Haven't listened to it since then but I remember being impressed even if the music is extremely dated ('85-'86). Granted, the CDs were probably just junk laying around and the tie-dye shirts were probably left over from a "it seemed like a good idea on paper" run, but they were good, cheap marketing and (as kids in a candy store usually are) we were impressed by his hospitality and gobbled up the goodies.

Good times. He's a great bass player, a great businessman and a great guy. He's the biggest reason I refer people to Bass Central on a regular basis.

pics indeed. playing 57pbass' 70s fender jazz at the first bbb.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/R&H3000/bbb012.jpg

and his kubicki. i love a kubicki.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/R&H3000/bbb007.jpg

unfortunately, you cannot see the image and writing on the shirt.

thanks to wraub for the pics.

peace.

--sw

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

There are plenty of superb players who don't get the big press.
Me, for instance... :rolleyes:

Remarkable player, though that flavor of bass playing isn't really my thing. I play bass to blend in, that kind of thing tends to stand out.

Oh yeah, Beaver Felton. A very good player! He's been around for years. He was of the caliber of Billy Sheehan. I remember seeing his endorsements in Guitar Player and other mags back in the day. It sucks about his accident but he hasn't let it get him down and he's still got it.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived