Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with Bass Sound

Jim_K

I am working on a project to recreate The Lamb (by GENESIS) in MIDI and use virtual instruments and amps for the parts.

The thing is, Mike Rutherford used a Microfrets (6 string) bass on the studio version of The Lamb and I really can't get my Rick to sound right. Does anybody have any ideas on a bass/amp combo that might come close? I am not talking about the FUZZ BASS sound, rather his clean bass sound. A good sound to hear this would be ANYWAY... the Rick sounds OK but not ROUND enough (if you know what I mean).

Thanks in advance,

Jim_K Keeper of the Shrine

www.lldom.blogspot.com

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just listened to a bunch of songs from the first half. Many songs have different bass tones (aside from that lovely clicky "Lamb" tone). I'm betting some are pedals, which they often did.

Counting Out Time seems the most "central" of the tones. It doesn't sound like that unique a tone - I'm betting a decent active bass would cover this pretty easily, or a Fender J with the highs rolled off a bit. I don't play a Ric, so I can't speak to what it can do.

Let me know what you did to get the "Lamb" tone. We used to do that and it was fun.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived