Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How often do you practice/play?

Changeling01960

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not enough. I go through phasesplay, play, playand then sometime nothing for days. :(

I think a couple of hours maybe 4-5 times per week would be a good amount once you have a decent foundation...or a little more if you are trying to take things to a different level or learning something totally new...a different playing style.

I also think practicing every single day for 6 hours can be somewhat counterproductive.

A couple of days on and then a day off may work better....otherwise it can all become rather "mechanical". It's a musical instrument...it's not an athletic competition. ;)

I believe even athletes do the on/off thing instead of every day.

And maybe change up the practices so that one day you focus on technique by doing scales/exercises...and another day you focus on lines/licks/melody, etc.

Or split each practice and do a little of both.

Now if I can just get my ass on that schedule... :grin:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I try to play at least 5 or 6 times a week, 45 minutes or so on week nights and an hour or so on the weekends. But I am a beginner so I need all the practice I can get. It doesn't feel like practice because it's fun, and I only put it down because I have stuff to do around the house.

Right now I start with warm up exercises then play blues scales and pentatonic scales and move on to chords & changes. After that I play some basic songs I've learned and on the weekends I'll go to a tab site and treat myself to a new tune after I am done with my routine. I wouldn't mind playing 3 or 4 hours a day if I had the time.

Baseline for me is approximately 1 hr. five days a week practicing, I get up at 5 to do that.

I try to do some when I get home from work, sometimes learning tunes for the new band I'm in, sometimes working on other stuff. I usually get in an hour or so.

Wednesday I either practice with the band for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs, or go sit in at a blues jam (which translates to about 20 minutes of playing time), and sometimes both.

Saturdays and Sundays I try to practice a bunch if I can, depends on what's going on.

Sunday nights I often go to another blues jam, which adds another half-hour plus.

I find some chance to play at least a little every day. I'm usually playing at the same time I'm reading this board, like now. Gigs are pretty regular... practice with bands less so, these days...

I really don't practice unless we're learning new songs, which is maybe about once every 4-6 months. In which case, I'll spend a few hours here and there for maybe a week until practice. After that it's on the set list.

So basically - every Friday and Saturday, I play keys, Guitar, and Sax. Besides that, I play my piano at home maybe a few hours a week. I play my bass for a couple hours every once in a while whenever I'm thinking about how much I miss playing bass (maybe about every other week). I never play the sax at home. Guitar I rarely pickup besides gigs.

Of course I do a lot of travelling during the week, and when I am home, the kids are in bed by 8, which makes it tough.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Does it make me a bad person because I came home from work today and grabbed my guitar before I said hello to my wife?

That's for you wife to decide. :grin:

And is it a bad sign that I'm hoping it rains tomorrow so I can stay in and play rather than go out and do stuff?

:rawk:

I do that all the time....only I try to put on a sad face :( about not being able to go out and to stuff.... until I get into my studio! ;)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

i play every day, mostly unplugged for sure and regular headphone romps with modeling. if nobody is home then i massage my amp. but the headphone playing is more rewarding because i get to lay down rhythm to play over.

this is more productive to me as i develop more musical ideas with backing tracks i create.

I play mandolin every day, and am trying to discipline myself to get at least 30 mins. in on the flute - my teacher tells me that consistency is more important than anything else, so I can develop the "baby muscles" of my embouchure.

Guitar? I pick it up 2 or 3 times a week on my own, but I'm playing guitar in a church band, which keeps me active at least though it's not all that challenging. Good singers, though, and I get to help the up-and-coming young guitarists (when they show up that is!)

But playing "Willow Weep For Me" and a Bach Forlane on flute has inspired to start practicing jazz charts and simple classical pieces again on guitar.

Got a gig coming up so it kinda get in the way of what I want to work on (ie. covers vs. jazz) but after the gig it's back to jazz and/or original stuff...and like guitarzan I've got to get back on playing over some rhythm grooves and just improvising...
Take care, Larryz

Archived