Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Vocals Sung Out of Tune

[quote]Originally posted by   S-A-L: [b]Whether something is 'in tune' or not is subjective.[/b][/quote]Maybe not subjective, but certain deviations from "in tune" can be aeasthetically pleasing, e.g., detuned oscillators and such. In an ensemble setting the "sweet spot" can be rather broad. Edit Ooops! my bad, S-A-L, I thought you wrote "is not subjective" and that you were laying down the law with an iron 440 fist. Now I see that we're in agreement on this....cool. ;) :thu:
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, "in tune" if you mean on the pitch exactly is a totally non-subjective thing that is scientifically measureable. But totally perfect tuning is not necessary and not desirable in a lot of musical situations. Choirs wouldn't have that "chorus" effect if everyone was dead on pitch all at the same time. Vibrato is an intentional relief from flat pitch perfection. Singing a little flat or sharp can be used as part of your technique. Lots of bluesy or moody stuff tends to a little flatness. Playing or singing a tad sharp can add an edge in certain musical situations. But of course unintentional out-of-pitch situations are bad news. M Peasley

Being late on a note sometimes gives a feel that is hard to duplicate. Blues does this a lot and that is how you get the feel of the flow. I PURPOSELY make notes off "click" because it gives it feel and emotion. If you use the same feel all of the time, you will get stagnant and repetitive. Riffs on "off time" make for a great new sound. New is not bad, at least you are not repeating the same shit. I heard so much about "50 cent" , but when I finally heard him it was the same OLD OLD shit since NWA. Nothing new at all. Kinda like country and "MY dog died". HELLO, lets move forward. PT is KILLIN" music, even though I have a PT system. AUTOTUNE SUCKS! :wave:

Archived