Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I felt so bad Tuesday night...

Jode

...that I called in sick for a gig. Dammit. Oh well - there's a first time for everything, I suppose. I've got whatever creeping crud is going around this week, and there was no human way I was going to a)drag a drumset down to the club; b)set it up correctly; c)play it properly; or d)have anything remotely like fun. I told my wife when she got home from work that I wasn't going, and she smiled sympathetically, looked me up and down, and said, "Well, you don't exactly look like you're ready to rock." Indeed, I felt about as far from 'rockstar' as you can get.

This is a songwriter-based band that had been playing without a drummer for over a year before I joined a few weeks ago, so I let myself off the hook by knowing they could make it fine without me. Besides, it was a tiny, tiny pub, and they all joked later about not having anywhere to put me anyway. Everyone understood and is totally cool about it - they all saw the shape I was in at Sunday practice, and I skipped Monday to hopefully save myself for Tuesday, but that didn't work out.

I'm still disappointed that for the first time in twenty years, the show did not go on. I know I'm not the first to have that happen - right, guys? Say yes.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I honestly can't remember ever having missed a gig because of sickness. Theraflu and a bong hit a couple times but I never canceled. But, I'm not a drummer either.

At least your bandmates understood.

Hit em harder next time Jode.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Called in "sick" for school concerts and such in years past? That's like asking "Did you ever skip Home Room in high school?"

Canceled a real gig for being sick? Not yet. I've played while looking and feeling pretty pathetic but I haven't been bad enough to not be able to pull it off. Yet.

If you're not better yet, get well soon!

Get well soon Jode. Ya can't beat yerself up for being sick.

I've played with migranes, a sore back, and even once got a pickup gig just after I had ripped the end off of the middle finger on my plucking hand. I played that one with my index and ring fingers, it was interesting to say the least.

We canceled a gig once because it was outside on a deck and rain was imminent. Club owner got mad, but that was better than getting electrocuted.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

As I get older, I'm more inclinded to call in sick (day job or gigs). Partly 'cause I just don't need the money as bad as I used to, but mostly 'cause I hate it when other Typhoid Mary's and Typhoid Larry's give me their damn cooties. Damn it, if you're that sick don't be a hero. Glad you stayed home.

Of course, this has to be graded on a "how important is the gig" basis. But if the gig's that important, you should probably already have a few phone numbers to call for backup.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I had a lovely flu in January. Lasted two weeks. Thankfully it was two weeks between shows so I didn't have to worry about performing. My voice was completely gone due to post-nasal drip; there was no way I could sing, not even backups.

I still go to a lot of open mikes and try to catch other bands when I can. I network with a bunch of musicians, including other bass players. Although everyone is very talented I found a guy who does regular fill-in work, and I asked him if he would mind being my sub. I haven't had to call him on it yet but it is reassuring. Do you have anyone like that?

Don't have a sub. If good drummers were that easy to find, I might not have the gig I've got!

Yesterday I reached the "feeling good enough to go to work, but coming home and crashing hard and being worthless for the rest of the evening" stage. Today we're at the sinus headache stage. Whee. Seems as soon as one body part feels better, another one hurts.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I think I've folded once. I was throwing up, weak, took a lot of effort to stand up. I knew there was no way I was going to be able to strap on a bass and hit it the way I wished. I also knew that the drummer could sub on bass and do a great job, and the acoustic guitar player could sub on drums and make it work.

All the other times, I played with migraines, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. Heck, I played a gig one time after being home from the hospital less than 24 hours and a bunch of stitches in my stomach.

I hope you feel better soon!

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

I'll tell you this much: I will be there tonight. Come hell, high water, or snot, I will be there.

Thanks for the moral support, as well as the mild chastisement, guys. I needed both.

Les Paul

Had a great gig. Although halfway through, I realized my cold has developed into a sinus infection. :rolleyes:

Les Paul

I've missed very few times over the years. Church gigs anyway, so there's no money involved, and no one was angry. Still, I don't like to be a no show, especially after putting in the time to practice the tunes, with and without the band.

I've heard of people who performed when they were only a couple weeks away from dying from cancer or whatever.... not sure I have THAT kind of dedication!

Archived