Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Fender Pricing

Rocky McDougall

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got a coupon in the mail from GC; 15% off 1 item- excluding Fender and all of their subsidiaries. C'mon, guys- even knocking of 15%, it would still be at least 15% more than this time last year.

I got that too, along with a $15 gift card. Might be enough for some strings :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm getting announcements from various retailers saying that Fender has dropped its prices on various models.

They are still higher that what they were a year ago.

They're higher, but not ridiculously higher. Seems to me.

Push the button Frank.

I'm going to be attending a Fender in store event in a couple of weeks. I'm more than prepared to offer the Fender folks on hand some feedback about the pricing situation. NY and NJ area guys might want to know about this one.

I'm not sure what to expect from Fender at this event. I was at a Sam Ash store that was hosting a Gibson event like that, and they rolled out the big guns. Serious Gibsons, and an in store appearance by Les Paul himself. But I noticed that Fender's going to be holding a number of these events on the same day around the country. I've heard in the past that they do giveaways at things like these. If any other NY/NJ area Lowdowners want to check it out, drop me a line.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so they're overpriced. But in addition to that, the finishes are rubbish.

I just got back from my local GC, where I tried a new P & a new J, both made in US. They sounded OK (as far as you can ever tell over the mind-numbing cacophony in a GC...and that's just the in-store music!). Of course, since they were in a GC, the setup was pretty shocking, and they were shopworn and downright filthy with fingerprints. But the main thing I noticed is that anywhere on the body that there is either a wood seam or a dark striation in the wood grain, there is a corresponding line in the finish. When the light hits the finish, you see this mass of irregular parallel lines all over the damn thing. It looks like checking, but follows the wood grain exactly. On a brand new $1,400 bass.

However they're finishing these things, it's NOT working. Plus, the prices are now jacked way, way up. It's a lose-lose situation.

If I were in the market for a new US Fender today, I'd buy a Skyline.

Archived