Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where do I store them?!

InakiR

it was in an InCase case - one I've flown with for years with no trouble at all. Not that long ago I fell off the roof of the boat I live on, about 9 feet drop, landed on my bass in that case. Not a mark on it.

I have two InCase bags; the original TourBag and the newer SlimBag. The SlimBag is the best gigbag ever made, in my opinion.

However, in your case, luck finally gave way to physics. There is no way that bag is anywhere near what is necessary to check in anything even close to fragile. I wouldn't be surprised if that crack was didn't happen all at once.

I understand that doing a flightcase is not easy, but that doesn't mean you can put a square peg in a round hole.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, in your case, luck finally gave way to physics. There is no way that bag is anywhere near what is necessary to check in anything even close to fragile.

I wouldn't really describe my bass as fragile, even... given the battering it's taken over the years, with few noticeable scars, I'd say it was stronger than a lot of other things I'd check in the hold...

...and as I said, I and everyone who's looked at it reckons it couldn't have happened inside the case without a) damaging the case (not a scuff-mark even) or b) destroying the (mainly plastic) pedals and stuff that were in the front pocket...

I guess now, British Airways, at least, will let me take the bass on board. If they pay out like they say they will, they won't want to make that mistake twice.

But even better, my next bass will be headless. Make it smaller, get it on board, eliminate the question.

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

The recent times where I' ve had to get to a gig by plane, I' ve carried out my Kramer Duke headless aluminum neck bass, and that has pretty much solved the problem, besides those quirky looks at me when entering aboard with something that, in its soft case, closely resembles a rifle :P. However, I can put it on the cupboard without any problem, it has such a small footprint, is easy to carry out and about, and light to stroll any airport corridor with :)

However... I was thinking about Steve's unfortunate incident.. and somehow it occurred to me it could (I have not seen any pics, so I might as well be VERY wrong about it) have been possibly a case of bad pressure change on the bass body. A friend of mine, about 20 years ago, was touring with a Jackson bass, and fled by plane to a very high altitude mountain city in the west Venezuelan Andean zone. His bass went to the cargo section of the plane on what I recall was some kind of SKB case (Did those already existed 20 years ago? I can' t recall very well...) When he went off the plane, he got his luggage and his bass from the belt, and went directly to the tour bus, and then to the hotel. Right at the hotel he opened the bass case.. and found the neck was TWISTED, the fretboard lifted off the neck, the truss rod showing, the neck's back badly twisted, warped, and therefore ruined. The bass, however, was not subject to any kind of mistreat, and the case was locked and secured. He could finally find a lent bass for the gig, and once back into capital city, he put his old P bass neck to the Jackson body and used it like that for some months, before sorting out a solution with a Warmoth neck i think it was, and fitting the P bass back together. So it occurs to me it could also have been a case of a bad, unfortunate pressure change which made the body's wood to react like that?

I had a "proper flight case" once... which I got alternatively fixed (had the separate cut-out contour shapes in foam) for a keyboard or a guitar. It weighed an awful ton, and once I sold (which I regret now) my Roland Juno 106, I gave it away with it. Every now and then I miss that Blue Calzone case... although my arms do not :P

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

However... I was thinking about Steve's unfortunate incident.. and somehow it occurred to me it could (I have not seen any pics, so I might as well be VERY wrong about it) have been possibly a case of bad pressure change on the bass body.

not in this case - as well as the crack across the front, the area round the jack socket is SMASHED, the lacquer is fractured all around there, and the crack in the body goes right through! Also, the crack in the top goes right across the grain... it's pretty horrible to even think about...

Steve

Archived