Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I find this

simus35

I find this on ebay Hamer USA 12 String American Bass

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170298019295

i just want to know how you can play with this kind of bass, i think it with a pick

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick played a 12 string, he used a pick.

I heard a 12 string at a local music store, it was fantastic.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Yes, you can play that bass with a pick. You could play it with your fingers too, but it would be hard to do.

The current price on eBay will not last long, it will sell for a lot more than that.

I think that forum member Tater Nuts has one of those basses. They create a huge sound.

Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" opens with a 12-string bass lick. No, it is not three guitars in octaves, just one Jeff Ament owning much of the frequency range. Gotta love a bassist with a case of manifest destiny.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I also have one of these -- mid 90's I believe. I have found that I can play it both with or without pick. The pick is much nicer if I'm using it to provide an extra cushion of sound under the guitarist while he solos. But finger style does allow some nice subtleties.

Yeah, I bought it originally because I loved the sound from King's X. And it's really fun to use at church now and then! :-)

I tried the Dean version and it felt flimsy in my hands. (Was it just that particular bass?)

On the Dean each course of 3 has the bass string on top with 2 strings below tuned in unison to the octave. This means if you play fingerstyle you'll play the octave strings slightly ahead of the bass string. The same for up-picking. But down-picking gives you the bass note slightly ahead of the octaves. I preferred the sound of down-picking myself. (I don't often play bass behind the beat.)

You may also want to use two amps with such an instrument. Usually one amp will be a guitar amp and it will handle the higher frequencies and the other amp will be a bass amp to handle the lows. Amy from Clatter uses such a setup, as does John Paul Jones when he plays his 8s, 10s or 12s.

I did try another 12 at Bass NW. It was the same brand Amy used to use, but I just checked her site and she doesn't have it anymore. That bass felt a lot better than the Dean to me.

Hmmm... I've not tried the Dean version so I can't make a true comparison, but my Hamer has always felt very solid to me (although tuning takes forever!). The big difference seems to be that the strings are set up opposite of what Eric describes for the Dean. Therefore, if playing fingerstyle, your finger hits the bass string first.

One caveat about those 12-string basses--they're not so much fun to tune.

They do, however, sound like 10 tons of sonic doom when played through a large amp with lots of watts and speakers. It'll make your ears bleed and your head explode. It also makes a fine gift.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Didn't the bassplayer for KingsX predominantly play a 12-string bass? Or was it 8?

Yeah, I believe Doug used both eights and 12s over time. I think he's mostly back to using a four now though.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Good point, sir--you get a free chorus effect with every slightly out-of-tune course of strings.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I've officially owned and sold three of those basses now. The original one was a custom job - the other two were standard USA built. All of mine were 34" scale. That one on ebay is a short scale (30 1/2"). They sound heavenly especially when used with a bit of overdrive. I always used a pick when I played them and had them strung so the higher octave strings were on top of the low bass string - makes it much easier to *always* play those higher tiny strings.

The cheap Rogue 8-string is giving me my fix for octave power goodness now.

Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" opens with a 12-string bass lick. No, it is not three guitars in octaves, just one Jeff Ament owning much of the frequency range. Gotta love a bassist with a case of manifest destiny.

It's actually just two octaves - a 12-string is tuned with the standard low bass string then two strings double an octave up.

Didn't the bassplayer for KingsX predominantly play a 12-string bass? Or was it 8?

Dug used to play 12-string basses a lot. He rarely plays them anymore. He never used 8-strings as far as I know.

Good point, sir--you get a free chorus effect with every slightly out-of-tune course of strings.

I used to tune the two octave strings a few cents off dead on in tune. It sounded mo' bettah with a little natural chorusy goodness going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived