Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do I need?

saucyjack

Currently playing Guitar and Keys in Cover band.Have been using a Nord Stage 76 for last 2 years.I like it,it's been dependable and sounds/feels great.

I find myself needing/wanting to be able to do some Arpeggiator stuff(Duran/Duran,New Wave) and needing some Decent Horn and String sounds at times.

The Nord is great for Piano/EP/organs and most Synth stuff...I've created some OK Horn and String sounds but they are not great.

So I guess I need a Module and use my Nord as Master controller.

I would like something small/lightweight and super easy to setup...I've got enough stuff to setup already.

Obviously the cheaper the better and easy to use Arp interface would be cool.

No software/Laptop-I would kill it in a few gigs.

Thanks

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only problem you'll run into is that most modules don't include Arp's or sequencers - you have to get the KB version for that typically. Most of the big 3 workstations though would do a fine job of piano's/Organs in addition to the synth and horn stuff and all have arpeggiators if you wanted to replace you beloved Nord Stage.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

What's your budget? I think you'll be annoyed with a rack module. I'd suggest getting one of the Big 3 rompler/workstation type boards, perhaps even an older generation to save cash. Look at Motif, Fantom, Triton and even their little brothers, like the MO6, Fantom xA, TR61 or M50.

Having a second keyboard would be easier to deal with on the fly.

I bought a Korg Micro-X last week because of the low price. It's a hybrid module/keyboard (only 25 keys), but its potential is amazing. :)

If you want arps, pops and bangs, plus great pads, synth brass and leads, I highly recommend it. Lightweight and easy to set up as well. What sold me was a great demo on Youtube. (Wish I had saved that link.)

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Thanks.

Budget is not a big problem.The main thing is setup and transport.

I've already got a Guitar Amp/Pedalboard plus Keyboard amp/Nord/Stand/GigBags...I really don't want to haul another board around.

The MicroX looks interesting...at least it's super portable and interface lends itself to gigging/knob twiddling.

What's it sound like?

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

What's it sound like?

I was amazed.....it sounds BIG. It's basically a mini Triton with less polyphony and fewer effects. But it's loaded with very useable programs and combinations. I'm controlling it via MIDI with my M3. It's been a blast.

Here's some specs:

Tone Generator: HI (Hyper Integrated) sound engine

64MB PCM ROM

642 multisamples + 929 drumsamples

Keyboard:25-key, velocity sensitive

Polyphony:62 voices, 62 oscillators (in single mode)

31 voices, 62 oscillators (in double mode)

Effect Section: Stereo digital multi-effect system all can be used simultaneously

2 Master Effects (mono in, stereo out), 1 Insert Effect (stereo in/out)

Master EQ (3-band stereo)

Korg MicroX Tabletop Synthesizer Controller Features:

High-quality sounds delivered by the HI synthesis system of the Triton

640 programs based on a new 64MB ROM, covering a wide range of styles

Combination mode allows up to eight programs to be freely combined to create complex sounds

384 preloaded combinations provided

Up to four high-quality effects can be used simultaneously

4-channel audio output allows sophisticated sound-creating and mixing techniques

Multi Sets provide easy setup and instant recall of 16-part multi-timbral groupings

Powerful dual polyphonic arpeggiators

External control setups can be used to control your DAW software

USB connector

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Synthoid's post plus the fact that cost isn't much of a problem made me think that maybe you'd be happy with a tabletop version of one of the Virtual Analog modules out there. Most of them have step sequencers and/or arpeggiators and could do a lot of the sounds that your Nord Stage can't - should be a good complement. And the tabletops have more user controls than a rack module.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived