Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what do you think

simus35

what do you think about this 6 string fretless bass

http://cgi.ebay.ca/6-String-Electric-Ebony-Fretless-FingerBoard-BassGuitar_W0QQitemZ300283027546QQihZ020QQcategoryZ159949QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

because i would like to buy this one but i'm not sure if is a good one to start

thanks

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... i would like to buy this one but i'm not sure if is a good one to start

thanks

Mabye I should be paying more attention, but how much playing experience do you have? I get the impression that you aren't exactly a seasoned pro (I should know, I'm not either). You would like to start with a bass? Start with a six string? If you only have a year or two (or less) under your belt, a six is probably not a really good idea. Are you playing music which a six string is advantageous? I played a five exclusively in the metal band I was in; since getting a gig with jazz band I don't pick up the 5 anymore (no, Moot, you can't have it!).

The question should be "Why do I need a six string?", not "Is this a good six string to buy?".

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

If you only have a year or two (or less) under your belt, a six is probably not a really good idea. Are you playing music which a six string is advantageous?

I don't really agree there. Some people started out on fretless, some on 5-string. It's the quality of the instrument and the quality and quantity of your dedication to said instrument that really make the difference, not the number of strings. In my ever so humble opinion :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I agree. If you want to start with a 6-string, great! But brace yourself for strange looks from bandmates, producers, etc. And you'll probably want a 4-string for when they go, "Uh, can you just play a regular bass?"

But anyway, if Jeremy says don't buy it, then that would all the information I need about that bass - and I would not buy it.

There are plenty of other companies that make 6-strings. I don't have one and haven't played on one in about 15 years, so I can't recommend anything for you.

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

It looks similar to my Jay Turser 5 string that I just reciently de-fretted. I doubt that it's anything close to professional grade. Buy it if you want to experiment but I wouldn't expect much. Check his Ebay profile and see if anybody else bought that model bass and see what kind of feedback he got before buying.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

There is nothing wrong with starting on a 6. If you are serious about being a bass player and willing to put in the time and effort to learn and play well, then all the best to you.

There are some good, affordable instruments out there, but it might take a bit of patience and research to find one of acceptable quality. You've come to the right place for that kind of info.

It would help us to help you if we knew how much money you have available for a bass. You will be better off waiting and saving up more money so that you can get a better instrument instead of one that would limit your progress.

If Jeremy says that he has tried a particular bass and found it lacking, heed his advice!

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

The video posted on the auction is quite telling since the seller is using it without the bass player's permission.

I didn't look at the video until now. Good call Chewbubba. Something funny going on there. I'd stay away from anything this guy is selling.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

it looks like a Brice bass. I had one, a six as a matter of fact. It looked nice, played ok, sounded a little weak. I picked it up for $180 used at a Guitar Center.

It is what it is, a budget instrument. You can probably get a brand new one of that make for the same price and also not from some shady ebayer.

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

Thank Jeremy C. for the info i will pass this one and look for another one. And for Frank M. i'm learning bass for 4 month now( StingRay 5 OLP and 4 string no mane), but before i was a guitar player and i still play guitar (20 years) the bass for me is not very hard. Only the slap bass i get hard time but with pratice i will get.

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

Archived