Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epifani D.I.S.T.: Officially Not The New AccuSwitch

davio

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why were you in TalkBass?? :'(

Whyyyyyyy?

Because there's a lot more info available there...as dirty as I may feel when I leave.

The vague description makes it sound like the switch works by changing something in the crossover. Perhaps it's something like a series/parallel switch, which is the only way I can think of to change the impedance of a speaker cabinet without adding a dummy load.

That's what I was thinking at first, but they're offering it in 4x10, 2x10, 1x15 and 1x12. How do you switch between series and parallel with a single speaker? Dummy load's the only thing I can think of. But then, I'm just a hobbiest...and a lightweight at that.

Here we go again...at least this time I'm here to watch the thread going pear shape... :D

Unless we are missing something here it sounds a lot like the other switch. And Accugroove droped it for whatever reason.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

The word is in: dual voice coils.

Apparently there are two voice coils for each driver and the switch controls which is active. Makes sense to me, I guess.

Tom Bowlus says they felt very close in weight to the UL series.

Again, it will be interesting to see where this takes the industry.

Modularity and flexibility seems to be the trend in the bass amplification industry.

Personally, I think it would be great to be able to buy a big cab, like, say, a 2x15 or 6x10, and be able to run it at 8 ohms when stacked with another 8 ohm cab (thus a total load of 4 ohms), and then switch it to 4 ohms when using it by itself, so as to wring a higher power rating out of the amplifier.

Modularity and flexibility seems to be the trend in the bass amplification industry.

Personally, I think it would be great to be able to buy a big cab, like, say, a 2x15 or 6x10, and be able to run it at 8 ohms when stacked with another 8 ohm cab (thus a total load of 4 ohms), and then switch it to 4 ohms when using it by itself, so as to wring a higher power rating out of the amplifier.

If this is a successful venture by Epifani, I can see that on the horizon. However, it appears that they are trying to roll out several new product lines at the same time right now. I hope they push this line hard enough to make it successful.

In my experience, I have rarely heard a significant different with efficient cabinets in regards to 4-ohm versus 8-ohm. The difference between 300 watts and 450 watts is just not that noticable.

If there was no weight gain or price increase, fantastic. I would pass, though, if either were a factor.

That's the point that many seemed to miss with the Accuswitch. It did not cost any extra and did not add any weight and the difference in performance between two identical cabinets with different numbers of ohms is very small.

The Accuswitch is no longer on Accugroove cabinets and I can honestly say that I have never used the one on my Tri210L cabinet.

In my experience, I have rarely heard a significant different with efficient cabinets in regards to 4-ohm versus 8-ohm. The difference between 300 watts and 450 watts is just not that noticable.

If there was no weight gain or price increase, fantastic. I would pass, though, if either were a factor.

Yes, but the difference between 590W and 1000W (just grabbed the specs on a Crest Pro 7200 since I've been talking to robb. about his recently) into an 8x10 can make a big difference. Than again, those numbers are per side so it wouldn't make a difference...but you get the point.

That's the point that many seemed to miss with the Accuswitch. It did not cost any extra and did not add any weight and the difference in performance between two identical cabinets with different numbers of ohms is very small.

Well, it did blow up way2fat's amplifier if I remember correctly. I think that was the point. Those cabinets are 4-ohm; flipping the switch effectively did nothing, and lead people to believe that they had a safe, 8-ohm load to use.

Yes, but the difference between 590W and 1000W (just grabbed the specs on a Crest Pro 7200 since I've been talking to robb. about his recently) into an 8x10 can make a big difference. Than again, those numbers are per side so it wouldn't make a difference...but you get the point.

Actually, the difference with a classic 8x10" cabinet (Ampeg, suspended, weak low-end responses) wouldn't be that big of a deal between 600 watts and 1,000 watts, and the 4-ohm output would likely have more distortion if you look at the specifications. An Ampeg SVT was designed for use with lower-powered amplifiers versus the monsterous output of today's amps. While the 1,000 watts might be useful for true low frequency use, a classic 8x10" cabinet doesn't put much out below 60Hz.

Again, for a bass cabinet, I do not see the appeal if it is going to be at the expense of weight or cost. However, it could be brilliantly marketed.

Actually, the difference with a classic 8x10" cabinet (Ampeg, suspended, weak low-end responses) wouldn't be that big of a deal between 600 watts and 1,000 watts, and the 4-ohm output would likely have more distortion if you look at the specifications. An Ampeg SVT was designed for use with lower-powered amplifiers versus the monsterous output of today's amps. While the 1,000 watts might be useful for true low frequency use, a classic 8x10" cabinet doesn't put much out below 60Hz.

I see what you're saying. Really? Negligible difference between 600W and 1000W? Say Epifani extends the DIST line like the Berg NVs and has a 6x10 and 2x15...I'd imagine with a setup like that, the headroom would be nice. Then again, I can't imagine most people that would lug a rig like that to gigs would be too worried about squeezing the last few drops of power out of their amps when just tuning will blow your hairpiece off. Especially since that rig would probably be pushed by a power amp rather than a head and it would be more useful and probably more cost-efficient to buy one that can drop to 2 Ohms or just run one channel to each cab. Yeah, I can definitely see what you're saying.

However, it could be brilliantly marketed.

Indeed.

I see what you're saying. Really? Negligible difference between 600W and 1000W?

Technically, there should be a 22% increase if all things are equal. However, that's rarely the case. Things like "can your speakers handle the power?" start coming into question.

I think the reason most big cabinets are 4-ohm loads is because most would rarely use more than one of those cabinets. And, if you are going to cart around two 8x10" cabinets, you likely have an amplifier that can handle the 2-ohm load or you carry a second amplifier.

And why would one want to carry an 8x10 + a 2x15. if you are doing that bigger gigs you are more likely to have roadies and amps that match like Getz and Davio mentioned.

Most of us folks are trying to downsize. We would be pretty happy folks if we could take all our gear in a back pack...

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I think the reason most big cabinets are 4-ohm loads is because most would rarely use more than one of those cabinets. And, if you are going to cart around two 8x10" cabinets, you likely have an amplifier that can handle the 2-ohm load or you carry a second amplifier.

truth.

I see what you're saying. Really? Negligible difference between 600W and 1000W?

Technically, there should be a 22% increase if all things are equal. However, that's rarely the case. Things like "can your speakers handle the power?" start coming into question.

let's apply some real science to this before we get too far afield.

as we should all know -- and if you don't know this already, learn it now -- our hearing is logarithmic. that is why we measure things in dB. it doesn't matter if 1,000 is a much bigger looking number than 590, or if 22% is a huge number in financial terms.

all other things held equal (same player, same bass, same cabinet), it takes 3dB more power just for the power increase to be noticeable. the increase from 590W to 1,000W is 2.3dB:

10 * log (1,000 / 590) = 2.29148dB

in fact it takes twice the power for the increase to be just noticeable and potentially worth the effort. say it with me:

if you want to get louder, add more speakers.

switching between 4O and 8O is great for marketing. it helps you win the race for watts. but it doesn't make you any louder.

robb.

Hurray for Robb

Great practical response.

Bet there will be a lot of talking about this, but like Jeremy stated, there will be hardly any use for those who buy it.

Archived