Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

4x10" or 2X10" and 1x15"

simus35

i don't know wich is the best setting for bass cab. use one 4x10" or 2x10" and 1x15" :freak:

thanks again

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks for info, because i'm new in bass and i was guitar player before

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

The trend seems to be towards smaller, lighter cabinets. Like Jeremy said, two small cabs are easier lug around than one larger cab. Two 2x10's or one 2x10 plus a 1x15 usually work well. There are some really great sounding highpower 1x12 combos available that I would consider.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

1x15 will give you a bit more old school sound. 2x12 and 4x12 sound the same to me except with the 4x10 you will push more air. Rocky mentioned the 1x12. That would give a good all around sound - the best of the 10s and 15s combined. To make things more complicated there are 2x12 cabs on the market that sound really nice. Eden has a great 2x12 cab. Ultimately if you have access to the different configurations of cabinets you should try all of them and see which one you like best.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I like the two cab setup, myself. It gives you a lot more versatility. I have a 1x12 right now, it's not bad, either.

It boils down to what you are doing with it, how many times you have to move it, and what kind of sound you want.

thanks for info, because i'm new in bass and i was guitar player before

Welcome to the lowdown, and welcome to the bass. Be sure to browse around, you will learn a lot here.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

You will do well with either a 4x10 cab or a 2x10 and a 1x15. As others have stated, having two smaller cabinets often has the benefit of greater flexibility -- you can bring both if you need or want to be louder, or you can bring one or the other if it is right for that gig.

You'll find that lots of players here use different speaker cabinet combinations. You might like a 2x12 bass cab, for example, or two 1x12 cabs. Maybe a 1x12 and a 1x15.

Try to test different cabs, if you can, at local music stores. Then decide what works for you based on how you liked the sound, how easy it would be to transport the cab(s) to gigs and/or rehearsals (What fits in your car? How much weight are you willing to carry? Would you be going up and down stairs a lot?), and how much flexibility you want (for example, two different smaller cabs gives you three options -- one, the other, or both).

What brands of cabs are available for you to try out at your local music shops?

Good luck.

Peace.

--SW

PS: I also advise against generalizing too much about the relationship between tone/sound and speaker size. There are other aspects to speaker design other than diameter (for example, size of cab) that affect tone. Try to play different cabs and use your ears to determine what you like.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

PS: I also advise against generalizing too much about the relationship between tone/sound and speaker size. There are other aspects to speaker design other than diameter (for example, size of cab) that affect tone. Try to play different cabs and use your ears to determine what you like.

Apparently size doesn't matter - and that's coming from a doctor!

I gotta foreward this to my girlfriend!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

What kind of music are you playing?

In my music I've pretty much got to stick with 10s to cut through and get that nice punchy sound you get with them (I'm talkin Death Metal here btw) but if I was to play raggae or something I'd go with somesort of 15 cab

the style i like to play when i was a guitar player was ozzy, black sabbath, iron maiden thi style and now i want to play the same at bass and thanks to all answer i receive

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

I've settled on a mix of 10's and 15's.. When I listen with just the 10's I don't like the tone as much, and when I listen with just the 15's I don't like it as much. With both it really brings the full color and tone of my bass out.. It's kinda like walking around with a patch over 1 eye when using only 1 speaker size. When you take off that patch you suddenly get a depth perception that wasn't there before..

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Funny, using an "eye-patch" analogy regarding the differences in speaker-size sound quality. Judging speakers based on size is just like listening with your eyes. Speaker cone diameter, especially in the rather narror 10"/12"/15" category, matters much less than the rest of the design aspects. In fact, if you go to design a proper speaker cabinet, the only time you really need to worry abou the speaker size is when get ready to make a cut for the baffle.

Simus35, my suggestion is you get the 2x10" and the 1x15" cabinet and enjoy them. If you plan to move them to and from gigs and rehearsals, two smaller cabinets is almost always easier to deal with than one bigger cabinet. Plus, you have the option of just bringing a single cabinet for smaller gigs.

thanks guy for all answer and i thing i will try the 2x10" and 1x15" together

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

As for brands, I'm somewhat partial to my Edens, but they can be a bit pricey.

Best bet would be to look for used gear -- you can usually find good stuff deeply discounted over new price.

What would be ideal would be if you could get to a store or stores with some variety, so you could try a bunch of different cabs and see what you like.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I'll echo that you need to have a good listen before you buy. Especially if you are mixing speaker sizes and especially if you are mixing cabs from different manufacturers.

You also need to be aware of the minimum load your amp can drive and the impedance of your cabs. Putting 2 4ohm cabs together can get messy if you are using different size speakers and you amp can't go down to 2ohms.

Two different 4 ohm cabs in series works, but it's not ideal.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Question! If you are running 2 cabinets would it be better to have a 2 channel amp so each cabinets would have it's own individual controls?

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I've settled on a mix of 10's and 15's.. When I listen with just the 10's I don't like the tone as much, and when I listen with just the 15's I don't like it as much. With both it really brings the full color and tone of my bass out..

I would be hesitant to generalize your experience here. You have specific brands of cabs with specific speakers. The speakers and cabs have been designed in ways that translate into specific tonal characteristics. Congratulations on finding a pairing that works for you. However, I would guess that you might also find cabs with only 10s, or only 12s, or only 15s, or only 5s, etc. that bring out "the full color and tone" of your bass.

It's kinda like walking around with a patch over 1 eye when using only 1 speaker size. When you take off that patch you suddenly get a depth perception that wasn't there before..

Also, isn't this dependent on the individual player's desired tone? Isn't what sounds better a subjective assessment? There are some one-way, ol' skool cabinets with only 10s or only 15s and no tweeter or horn that sound great, or produce sound that fits particular circumstances or particular players' needs. There are some cabs (e.g., try a pair of Bag End 1x15s w/out the coax) that many think sound glorious and full. Then there are some multi-way cabs (e.g, Acme, AccuGroove) that are great or combinations of cabs (e.g., the discussed 2x10 and 1x15) that are great.

Also, ever compare how, say, the smaller boxed SWR Son of Bertha 1x15 sounds (some nice tight mids) compared to a bigger boxed Trace 1x15 (more lows)? Same speaker size, differently designed speakers, differently sized and designed boxes...very different tone and freq representation. How about the lows from an Acme Low 2BW (just two 10" woofers)? Plenty substantial and deeper than some 1x18s or 1x15s.

All this said...

simus35: I think the 2x10 and 1x15 mix will likely work well for you. It will give you flexibility. Please, when you shop, use your ears and try as many 1x15s and 2x10s as you can. Do not simply trust the technical specification data from the companies. Also, do not hesitate to try two 1x15s or two 2x10s -- you may be pleasantly surprised.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Well since you're going for Iron Maiden and Sabbath...I'd just go test a bunch of stuff out

And take a look at their setups to get some ideas.

I'm pretty sure Geezer of Sabbath uses just 15s, while Mr. Steve Harris went with 10's of some sort, not sure what company's they use though.

willie. IME what I said stands true. I've heard cabs with just 10's that sound awesome alone, same with 15's (both my cabs sound great by themselves, they just sound even better together to me).. I've listened to more brands and combinations of cabs than I care to ever repeat, and while a great many types of speakers sound great by themselves, I've always found that mixing speaker sizes usually yields the most pleasant results to my ears.

My way isn't the end all, I'm just making sure the point of view is considered in his search. I think he has settled on a great all-purpose setup, as long as he gets good kit.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Archived