Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Jazz Bass

Ron G

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Price
  • Color options
  • Quality of electronics/pickups (although IME some Mexi-Fenders sounded as good or better than the US ones)

The first two are the biggest differences in my opinion. Quality can vary greatly among the same model for Fenders or any other mass produced instrument. I'm assuming you're thinking of buying a Jazz Bass, so I think the best way to go about it is to try before you buy. I've played clunkers and gems from all the countries of origin.

From what I can tell from messing with them in stores and owning some American models in the past there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of differences that I can see. Maybe electronics and subtile things in the manufacturing such as fret dressing.

Yes there is the price difference.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

+1 on what Edro said. Some of the price difference comes from more detailed fret finishing which gives the US a smoother feel to the neck, plus carbon stiffing rods in the neck. The sound is very close to being the same. The fit and finish of the MIM's over the last few years is nearly equal. The Japanese models are mainly the Signature basses offered today. The quality of these MIJ models is usually very nice. Personally, if I could spend $600 - $700 I would buy a like-new, used Fender USA. You will have the least depreciation and over time may even see some appreciation in it's value. If you are on a tight budgest, a like-new, used MIM would be the way to go ($350). The New guitars will depreciate 40% as you walk out of the store.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

You may also notice a difference in some of the hardware. The lower end instruments may not have tuners on par with those of the American instruments.

What I want to do is trade my Ibanez SR500 for a Jazz bass. I found out that my Ibanez is the source of my shoulder pain(ergonomics).

You may actually want to look into a much cheaper fix: a new strap. Have you considered getting a more substantial or comfortable strap? That might do more for your shoulder pain than changing instruments.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

There are some 3 1/2" and 4"straps that make a big difference. I use a 4" on my MIM Jazz V that weighs 12 lbs. I also sit when I play and the weight is not that important.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

+1 for the wider strap. It's simple physics, and a wider strap (preferrably with cushioning all the way across the shoulder area) will go a long way to easing shoulder strain.

I have a MIM JBass, and it was very well made. Sure, I'd like a USA Fender, but I work for a living and have kids, the MIM does what I need it to do.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

+1 also on a wider strap. My Warwick is a pretty heavy bass and I use a 4" strap to ease up on my shoulder. Fender jazz bass is no lighter than the Ibanez in my opinion. I remember my jazz being pretty heavy.

The pain is in my right shoulder, I have adjusted my strap numerous times. I started playing a Squire bass(without a strap)and it feel as if the pain is going away and it feels must better after playing.

If the pain is in your right shoulder, then maybe you should reconsider the height at which you're playing your bass. Try playing it up a little higher on your body. If that doesn't help things you may want to see a doctor.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I have changed the height up and down I play mainly sitting. I have been to my doctor and rehab with some relief, but I notice the most relief when I started playing a Squire bass. I think the shape of the Ibanez body places my arm and shoulder in a bad position. It's as if I have to reach too far back because I have long arms. Someone once told me that they had seen gorilla's with shorter arms then mine.

I have had problems too but I started using those velcro attachable pads and that helped a little. Also a really neat light bass is a fender JP-90 made in the USA, they sound great and they are light as a feather - I think the body is poplar or something - they dent easy, but you can usually get one on ebay for around $300-$400.

Many play sitting down with the bass resting on top of the right leg. I play sitting down with a strap that stabilizes the bass but the lower body is between my legs, which makes my right arm angle more comfortable.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

I tried playing with my bass in between my legs same results. My right shoulder has been hurting me for about 6 or 7 months. I thought I hurt my shoulder working-out or at work, so I stopped working-out can't stop working. I had my Ibanez about 8 months, stopped playing it about 2 days ago trying to figure things out and now I feel better (bad bass). I'm going to play my Squire for awhile and see how I feel if all pain goes away Fender Jazz for me.

I had a torn right shoulder Rotator-cuff in 1995. It took the doctor months to diagnose. Finally a special xray confirmed. To this day, I have no idea how the damage occured. I had it operated on and my right arm was in a sling for 3-4 months. They will not heal themselves, surgery is the only cure. I hope that is not your problem.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

I found out that my Ibanez is the source of my shoulder pain(ergonomics).

Is this what you think, or did someone tell you this?

You said you've been to the doctor and had some rehab for your shoulder, did he/she also put you in contact with an occupational therapist? If so, you could take your bass and show the OT how you normally play. Then he/she would be able to spot something that would cause the pain. It may be something as simple as using a different strap or correcting bad playing posture. Just a thought.

Edro, I'm saying it was the source of my pain, because the only thing that is different is I stopped playing my Ibanez. when I was going to physical therapy my shoulder felt better, but it still would bother me depending on my range of motion. As of now I've been trying all the motions and things that cause me pain, and guess what no pain. I'm still playing everyday just as I did or I would say learning to play. Sometime it's the little things! I have a padded leather strap that is 3 inches wide that I'm using.

I find it really hard to believe that a particular bass would affect your right shoulder in such a way that adjusting the strap wouldn't help but playing a different bass would. Is it possible that you injured your shoulder doing something else as you first thought and that its healing and your putting down the Ibanez just happened to coincide? I can't imagine a way that a particular bass could affect your right arm placement in such a way that you can't correct it with posture and strap adjustments.

I believe Ibanez basses to be within the most lightweight (CB basses too) ones, and to be the most ergonomics. Would you be able to take a pic of you using the strap, sitting down with no strap and with a strap.

I'm led to beleive that you are playing in a abnormal way which puts pressure on your shoulder.

The pain on your right shoulder would have to do with the angle of your arm. There are various techniques to play that can help you. Todd J uses the floating thumb technique, I tried to play like that but like you I have pretty long arms and use the bass fairly high so it didn't really work for me, so I use a bit of Steve L technique where the hand is around the neck pick up, but I pluck the string slightly back.... If i want to play even more towards the bridge I play a la sting. Works for me.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I agree that it would be worth the effort to have an occupational therapist take a look. They are trained to pick up on little things that wouldn't seem to matter, but make a huge difference. Rehab and doctors are good at diagnosing and healing the damage, but OT's are better at finding ways to prevent it in the first place.

I will agree somewhat that playing an Ibanez may not be helping the situation. I am a big guy with gorilla hands (I had to special order my wedding ring for a size 15), and all the Ibanez basses I have played are uncomfortable to me- which is a shame, because I like the sound. The Fenders felt way more comfortable to me, like I have more room to maneuver without being bunched up.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I'm sitting in the same chair using the same strap and all I can tell you is that there is no pain in my shoulder. Now what I have notice is that my arm and shoulder is at a different angle. There was no pain in my shoulder while playing I woke up one morning and my shoulder was hurting I trying to figure out what happen I stopped working-out for months no relief. Went to my doctor x-ray's, physical therapy some relief, stopped playing my Ibanez picked up a Squire RELIEF. No pain at all in my shoulder no matter the range of motion and I have been trying everything that made it hurt and I'm back to working-out.

Now what I have notice is that my arm and shoulder is at a different angle.

Not to be flippant but it kind of sounds like the old cliche of the patient saying, "Doctor it hurts when I do this," to which the doctor replies, "Then stop doing that!"

Based on your particular playing posture it could very well be that the Fenders are more comfortable for you than the Ibanezes. However, it could be that the overall problem is in your posture and that the Fenders just minimize the pain. I think it's still a good idea to see an OT or even a qualified bass instructor to try to sort things out. This is one of those things best diagnosed in person rather than over the net.

I've played several different makes and models of basses and guitars and haven't had one cause me pain (no Ibanezes, though).

Using a cheap mic stand finally caught up with me and now I'm doing better with a boom-style stand that allows me to stand up straight and not have to hunch over anymore. Bad posture = pain. And sometimes the cure is in the equipment.

I understand what you are saying, but I did not switch basses looking for relief it was the first bass I brought and I decided I was going to start playing it again. Before I picked up my Ibanez I only had my Squire 2 months. If I go back to my doctor and tell him "Hey my shoulder is better" then have to pay for the visit. I had a qualified instructor no posture issues, not hunched over, feet on the floor. I'm just happy my pain is gone! I just helped the repair man replace my hot water heater in the attic no pain!

Well it seems pretty obvious to me that there is something in the design or weight of the bass that causes you to hold it or wear your strap in a way that causes you discomfort, or at least causes a flair up of a nagging injury that isn't evident in other activities or playing a different bass. See if someone will lend you a jazz bass for a couple of gigs and see if you have any problems. Then decide.

Well it seems pretty obvious to me that there is something in the design or weight of the bass that causes you to hold it or wear your strap in a way that causes you discomfort, or at least causes a flair up of a nagging injury that isn't evident in other activities or playing a different bass. See if someone will lend you a jazz bass for a couple of gigs and see if you have any problems. Then decide.

This all sounds about right to me.

Good luck, Ron G!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

The Squire is a J-Bass, that's why my first question was asking about Fender J-Bass. When I decided I wanted to learn how to play all the bass players that I liked played a J-Bass. The problem I had was I started playing OFPF not knowing 1-2-4 so it was hard on my left hand. I started looking for a bass with smaller frets (Ibanez) I picked one up. On 12/10/08 I asked on this Forum about (1-2-4 or OFPF) when I started playing 1-2-4 my playing to me sound better and had a better feel. On my I Ibanez it seemed as if I naturally played OFPF looking over in the corner of my room Squire J-Bass big frets 1-2-4. That's why I switched and the pain is gone my normal routine stayed the same.

I had a salesmen at my local music store look at me as I held both basses what he notice was that the Ibanez was closer to my body, because the body of the Ibanez is thinner. The only way I got rid of the discomfort in my shoulder was to put a pad on my stomach to push the Ibanez out.

Something you might want to check out is the Squier CLassic Vibe jazz. The fret wire is a little thinner than the standard, it plays pretty nice. It sounds just as good as a MIM Fender ,IMO.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Archived