Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Les Paul with EMG's

RocketRick

Found a guy with this one: He wants $600. Haven't looked at it yet. Offered $500.

Has EMG-81 active at bridge and EMG-85 active at neck.

Whatcha think?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/RocketRick/LesPaul_EMGs.jpg

Money may buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hope to see it at ard 4pm today. He added gold hardware so I guess he did the same with the covers. We talked abt the pups and he seemed to know the diff betw them and the stock passive ones per output and tone.

Oh he didn't change the hardware that was another one..My mistake.

I imagine it came with gold Hardware as a color option. Well I fig he must have put the orig covers over the EMG's. If you can't do that then something's funny.

It's a studio..

That looks like a Les Paul Studio model; you can compare it to your brand-spankin' new one there now! :cool:

Yeah, it would't be impossible to put covers like that over some EMG's, but it would be a LOT of work for nothing more than cosmetic change! actually, I doubt that most metal covers for humbuckers would fit over the plastic covers of those EMG's, as the EMG's have a slightly different shape to 'em, with more tightly radiused edges and corners- squarer, pointier. Not impossible, but nearly impossible and not worth the effort...

The EMG models cited have to be run on a 9-volt battery.

Active (battery-powered) EMG's are potted in epoxy, coils, cover, poles, and all, so there's no changing that, they do NOT come apart unless you destroy them.

And they're made to be extremely low-noise; the metal covers wouldn't help in any way, and they might actually make problems.

On top of that, these EMG 81 and 85 pickups have no visible pole-pieces, so those screws seen in the pic would have to have been trimmed VERY short and just be the screw-heads stuck to the face of those metal covers. If those six screws in each pickup will turn and adjust up and down, then he's lying about there being EMG 81 and 85 pickups under those covers.

Unless you're going for a Zakk Wylde sound, I don't think you'd want EMG's on a Les Paul, anyways. (And besides that, if you DO want a ZW kinda thing goin', he also uses a maple neck with an ebony fretboard on it, with those big block mother-of-pearl inlays- a much brighter, crisper version of a Les Paul than the mahogany/rosewood, smaller-trapezoid markers type we're mostly used to.)

If it is a nice LP Studio in excellent shape and you like it at least as much as your new one, don't budge a penny over the $500 you offered him, case included.

By the way, rocket, love your avatar-image pic; izzatt your dog, or one you used to have? Looks like a real lively character! :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well I haven't seen it yet. Others have made the comment about

covers. Hmm...curious for sure.

Maybe the guy bhgt a copy and is trying to upgrade it to get more money.

Hey CO's..I was just playing the new LP with open tuning and doing a song I wrote in the 70's, Its a slide song and real real real blues one that's make ya weep.

Havin' fun with it.

Need to record it & let others hear it.

rocket

Oh, he's an Aussie I got from a pound. Peaty. Best dog I ever had and I used to mush. Smart dependable and never complained and the only dog that could catch a frizbee thrown straight out as hard as one could throw it,. Here's what I think:

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

If dogs don;t go to heaven, I want to go where they go.

Archived