Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Starting Over/Cheap bass amp recommendations

Farfetched

I got all my gear ripped off about a week ago, which isn't too bad since I was planning on upgrading anyways. I was thinking of picking up either an active fender J or a geddy lee jazz. The amp I'm not too sure of. I'll probably spend around 3-500 on it. I won't be gigging, so all I need is something to practice on. Any suggestions?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume you are talking about the MIM Deluxe Jazz??? The Geddy Lee is MIJ and maybe a little higher quality but also more $$$$$.. Soundwise they are probably very close. Personally I don't care for the GL's black inlays but that is just me. The amp you get will probably do more to effect your sound than the bass you choose.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I would say a Roland Cube 100. I played through one again today at a store and really liked it. I used to have one. I still would except I needed a little more volume. I really wanted that amp to be enough but I went with a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T combo. But really, if you aren't going to gig (and I did gig with it) I think it's a great amp.

I also played a Geddy Lee today - with the Cube 100 - and that would be a great little set up for home, friends and even small gigs.

Try out the blue cab by warwick they come in 15w 30w and 60w, cheap great sound and they come with the tilt back feature.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I'd go with the Roland Bass Micro Cube, loud enough to play with others (unless they're on 11), compact, 10 or so FX, drum tracks for home practice/accompaniment, battery or AC power, all for less than $250. Try it out, you'll be impressed.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I've been using a Roland Bass Cube 60 for over 30 years.

I use it for teaching, practicing, and for jazz and folk gigs.

It's not quite enough for a four piece rock band and it doesn't have "hi-fi" tone, but it has served my purposes well.

I'm sure that the newer model is more bettah.

I'm not a big fan of Roland's bass cubes.

For your consideration, if you're just looking for seomthing to practice with: SWR LA combos

:sick::sick::sick:

Davio!! Shame on you!! Have you ever played through one of those hunks-o-crap?!

I'de get better tone fartin' in a hollow log!

Seriously, I played all 3 of those and all the Behringer and GK Backline combos and the LA series sounded the worst of all of them. Tinny and twanky and impossible to get balls out of.

Now, if you can land an older used WorkingMans 10 or 12 you're onto something.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I have not played the LA series. Just looking through pages of practice amps online I figured those might be decent since I've liked some bigger SWR combos I've played.

I guess the biggest fault I can find with the Bass Cube is the amp modeling and effects which isn't really a fault if you'll use something like that. I just don't particularly like built in effects.

I guess the biggest fault I can find with the Bass Cube is the amp modeling and effects which isn't really a fault if you'll use something like that. I just don't particularly like built in effects.

I thought the effects were pretty good, at least very usable. If it were a little louder I'd still be using it instead of my Shuttle. One weird thing is that when you plug an extension speaker in, it stays at 100 watts. Not like most amps where adding a cab will increase the wattage. Odd. Still, if I found a great deal on a used one, I might buy it.

Yeah - not everybody uses effects and the built ins can be confounding. When I first got the Line6 it took awhile to get the sound right but now I can just plug and play without hauling my pedal. It's nice.

Jeremy - I'll get to work on that sample for ya but you have to promise to use it at a gig.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Archived