Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Man what a relief!!!!

RocketRick

After I put 10'a on the Strat it screwed up my action. I got pissed. Bhgt that Erlewine book.

Spent abt 2 weeks & abt 2hrs per day going thru my Strat. Finally get ard to adjusting the string height. Man its time consuming. Got e thru g done. What I do is adjust each string height and play. Over and over and over again. I play jazz stuff and 9th and 13th chords over and over.

Its like a nightmare that never ends.

I have an xmas feeling its gonna get me an elf that knows my weaknesses.

I'm gonna finish it

Money may buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey man, after putting heavier strings on all you should really need to do is tweak the truss rod slightly, screw the trem clamp in a little bit and re-intonate.. About 30mins.. :-) But I guess it will get easier as you get more used to it. I remember struggling for hours and hours on the first electric I set-up.. Which had a floyd.. now THAT was a PITA!

Keep at it! :D

That's at least 14 hours on a set up? At least you are learning everything about setting up a guitar. That's invaluable knowledge that will save you hundreds, even thousands over your life time.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Trucks - too funny. Just as I hit post on my reply the "floyd" image popped into my mind. I remember changing strings for the first time on my son's floyd equipped former guitar. Wanted to through that one out the window.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Trucks - too funny. Just as I hit post on my reply the "floyd" image popped into my mind. I remember changing strings for the first time on my son's floyd equipped former guitar. Wanted to through that one out the window.

That's how I learned to do setups as a teen. I changed the string guage on a Yamaha I used to have with a floating Kahler-style whammy. Took me several days. After that, any guitar was easy.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

That's how I learned to do setups as a teen. I changed the string guage on a Yamaha I used to have with a floating Kahler-style whammy. Took me several days. After that, any guitar was easy.

+1

Well for the 10 yrs I was lucky enough to have that Firebird, I never had one prob with it. Just changed strings and went on. After it was stolen in ard 1975, I almost always played my '72 Martin D-28. Cost $700 new in ATL. So ya see I've not been to much in the electric area for a LONG time. Plus the Strats are so much different the Gibsons. Its astonishing really.

Well with advice from you guys/gals I've gotten up to speed pretty fast I think. No I didn't work on it every day or at real long stretches. It just seems that way I guess.

Hey, are there any/many gals that visit this site? Just curious.

Money may buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

+1

Same thing with a floating strat trem. Takes a long time just to intonate. Then if you are going to a different gauge at the same time you have to adjust the truss rod as well. It can take days to let it settle in and get just right.

Well for the 10 yrs I was lucky enough to have that Firebird, I never had one prob with it. Just changed strings and went on. After it was stolen in ard 1975, I almost always played my '72 Martin D-28. Cost $700 new in ATL. So ya see I've not been to much in the electric area for a LONG time. Plus the Strats are so much different the Gibsons. Its astonishing really.

Well with advice from you guys/gals I've gotten up to speed pretty fast I think. No I didn't work on it every day or at real long stretches. It just seems that way I guess.

Hey, are there any/many gals that visit this site? Just curious.

Yeah, but a trem-bridge, ESPECIALLY a floating trem, brings SOOOOOO many more variables and potential gremlins to that equation that it's not funny. Note how many people absolutely HATE trems- especially floating trems- and will refuse tio have ANYTHING to do with them. They can be a Royal Pain In The @$$.

That's not to say that they can't be managed, and be great to use, even. They just take some work and thought.

Good news is, that if you work it out and get it right on a given guitar, as long as you don't change any of the settings other than occasionally adjusting the neck-relief via the truss-rod, it should keep working just fine with just a little TLC- a little cleaning and lubing and checking once in a while, changing strings one-at-a-time so that all the hardware stays put set the way you had it, etc....

We've had a few female forum-members here from time to time, but not a lot. We seem to be going through an estrogen-low phase of late, though...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived