Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Setting Up Strat

RocketRick

Whelp Sport fans I followed Erlewines book 'cept I didn't redo the nut. Just cleaned it and lubed it with graphite. Did the whole deal and place 9's back on. Finally got to adjusting the height of the strings. Man does it play nice.

It has 7.5deg radius neck and orig relief at the 7th of 6thE-.016", 4thD-.013", 1stE-.010". Gibson's relief from the factory is .012". So I adjusted the neck to be flat and straight then started lowering the strings. Still ain't done with it but its so much better then it was and a ways to go to get to nirvana.

Bought a piece of oak today to install a Trem block.

Want to thank CO's for all his support and help and damn good advice. He's an asset for this board. A damn good one too.

I'm shootin' for string height of 1/16"on the 6th and ard that on the 1st.

Also, I was amazed at how close some folks set their poles. Gonna do that to.

So Happy Holidays and Happy notes to all.

Oh, to pass on something for I really strive for and I hope its not preaching too much;

"It is best to be honest and truthfully, to make the most of what you have, to be happy with simple pleasures, to be cheerfull, and have courage when things go wrong".

Laura Ingalls WIlder Author of: "Little House on the Prairie"

Money may buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, ya got the first three letters of that right! :D;)

Glad that's goin' well for ya, Mr. 'Raven.

Don'tcha love those radius-gauges that come in the back of that book? Too cool! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

CO's. Well I owe the learning and fun to this board and its members. Thanks to all.

And remember, "you can't beat fun for a good time!"

Oh, call me Rick or Rocket Rick(old nickname ha!)

Yes the radius gauges are a very helpful diagnostic tool and easy to use.

Wonder why Dan hasn't answered my emails yet. He said to email him for work on his site. Prob too busy answering emails Ha!

Prob just extra xmas work I bet.

See new post on possible bridge for ES 140T 3/4.

He gets EXTREMELY busy, and because if it sometimes forgetful or puts something off till later and then maybe forgets; don't take it personal!

He's juggling a number of things at any given time, and loads of people post on threads and replies on his sub-forum at the Les Paul Forum, as well as all the e-mails he must get. It's not just you- get the idea that I've been here before myself? ;):D:thu:

Dan's a great guy, I mean none of this as a put-down, complaint, or disrespectfully.

shack,

Its called "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Erlewine. He also wrote one on repairs. He also sells dvd videos that are suppose to really get one up to speed on repairing guitars. IE.,,,become a luthier.

Be nice to talk to someone here that actually has used those dvds.

Hope that helps.

shack,

Its called "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Erlewine. He also wrote one on repairs. He also sells dvd videos that are suppose to really get one up to speed on repairing guitars. IE.,,,become a luthier.

Be nice to talk to someone here that actually has used those dvds.

Hope that helps.

Cool..thanks!

I have his "Guitar Player Repair Guide" from many years back..still a great resource.

If you go to the Les Paul Forum and register as a new member there, there is a 'page listing a whole bunch of forums that are tailored to different specific subjects, like amps or non-Gibsons or recording, etc. There's one called "Dan's Guitar Shop". (Again, you have to be registered to be able to access it.)

Here's a link that should take you right to the registration 'page: LPF registration 'page

Bestaluck all around!

Hahhahhaahhahhahhaahh!

You're alright, Rocket; that made me smile and laugh out loud. Or did I laugh and smile out loud?

As I've heard it, the Raven is no less epic of a mischievous character hisself...

____________________________ http://www.wickedsunshine.com/Projects/NorthWestCoastStories/Images/RavenStealsTheLight-207x120.gif

That bridge is for a full size guitar. Stew-Mac finally emailed me back. Still might be worth a try tho.

Names? Yours reminds me of the wittiest guy I ever met from Limerick Ireland named Ed Punch. He's a riot.

My handle is from my first Dog I adopted in 1990 in ANC, Blue. I lived and worked on St. Lawerence Island in the Bering Sea for 3-months in 1981. Made friends with the Yupiks and learned about the Raven myths. The Raven is supposedly a protector and a trickster. Hence, Blueraven.

We could see Russia from St. Lawrence Island. We had some Ernest Hemingway moments during a storm there. Ever taken out a honey bucket and thrown it into the Bering Sea with the wind blowing back in your face. Nasty..Makes ya appreciate Norris & Kohler Ha!

:D:cool:

Hmmn; I don't think that the size will matter here, since the string-spacing is probably still the same- it's the scale-length that's different. You'll just wind up with more extreme intonation-compensation in the angle of the bridge and the adjustment of the individual saddles.

Archived