Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

James Mankey (Concrete Blonde)

Griffinator

I always appreciated how subtle Mankey was as a casual listener and fan of the band, but now that I'm actually trying to learn "Joey" for a new band project, it just really blows me away how delicate his chops really were. He's actually not playing much electric during the song, just adding some really nice flairs and high chord suspensions that create a relaxed mood.

Listen carefully to that solo sometime, though - it sounds so simple, but there's just so many little delicate touches that make it just pop out at you. I'm having to do this one completely by ear, and I'm about 90% on it, but I'm still stumbling on the quick runs.

Another obscure guitarist unheralded and underappreciated. ;)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always liked Concrete Blonde, kinda like early Pretenders, but they had their own sound. Definitely a band where if you owened one or all of their albums, you'd have a real variety of songs.

I agree, James Mankey is a great player,, so subtle you almost overlook him, but his solos stay with you.

THanks for the reminder, I think I'll cue some CB up right now.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Yeah no kidding.

Great solo on that one.

I gotta ask, though - can anyone confirm if he really plays with his thumb, no pick, like in the videos?

I saw them live in DC a few years back, but I wasn't close enough to discern whether he had one or not.

James Mankey has always been one of my favorites that comes in way under the radar - he and Johnette (yes, a GREAT voice) seemed to fit so well together. I have never seen him play with a pick. He did a wah solo on their cover of Bob Dylan'sA Simple Twist of Fate that was just so cool. I have never found that cover on the net for listening, just on their CD "Still in Hollywood".

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

Due to this thread, I looked up some old Convcrete Blonde interviews on the internet. Johnette credits Mankey will either playing or teaching her to play the basslines on several of their earlier albums, apparently he played bass in the band Sparks, IIRC.

In all the vidoes I could find, it appears Mankey uses his thumb quite a bit.

I great, underrated band overall, one of my favorites, like so many others, I got into them after they'd broken up.

+1 on Johnette's voice, unmistakeable.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

No way, Split. They broke up for a while, but have more recently gotten back together and released several albums. I saw them at the 9:30 Club in DC back in 2001.

(edit)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_Blonde

Seems they broke up for good in '05. Glad I got the chance to see them one more time before they did. :thu:

No way, Split. They broke up for a while, but have more recently gotten back together and released several albums. I saw them at the 9:30 Club in DC back in 2001.

(edit)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_Blonde

Seems they broke up for good in '05. Glad I got the chance to see them one more time before they did. :thu:

:thu: Thanks for setting the record straight on that. I knew they released more CDs but didn't know they toured.

James also did a solo CD titled "JAM" that is worth checking out. Good stuff!

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I did have the good fortunes to see them play live in Atlanta in '94. I could be mistaken, but I think that was their last tour together?

I revisited this, and realized I forgot to ask - was that the Walking In London tour, or Mexican Moon?

I remember the most disappointing thing about the show in '01 was they didn't play a single piece from Mexican Moon which was far and away my favorite album.

That was that late 80's early 90's guitar....chugga chugga, lot's of 3rds and nice chimey chords on top and lead lines. 'Til Tuesday, Mike and the Mechanics, Police, U2, Fixx, INXS, Talk Talk etc etc Pretenders...a bit earlier... I guess were some bands with a bit of that. I love that stuff man, like some thought went into not everyone jamming the same frequencies.

I was very active in LA around that time, and many of us LA guitar players were going for that sound. Most had a rack rig LOL with preamps, digital delays and reverbs, harmonizers LOL PLUS a pedalboard of course.

You were hot shit if you had a Bradshaw pedalboard.

I tell you a guitar player who was friggen awesome in LA, dead from heroin OD I think....Marshall Rohner. The guy was great I loved watching him play. I replaced him in a band one time and I just could not deliver like he could in that style.

I revisited this, and realized I forgot to ask - was that the Walking In London tour, or Mexican Moon?

I remember the most disappointing thing about the show in '01 was they didn't play a single piece from Mexican Moon which was far and away my favorite album.

I am assuming it was the Mexican Moon tour since it was released about 4 months prior to the show I saw (February 16, 1994 - still have the ticket stub!). Honestly, when I saw them I was not real familiar with their stuff - mainly Joey, Caroline and Bloodletting. It was after I saw this show and was really impressed with Johnette and James that I started listening to them a bunch.

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

Archived