Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KEYBOARD CHALLENGE #3 December 2008

keithwakeman

1st part: UPGRADES and UPDATES

I usually try to get 2-2.5 years on my CPUS, 3 years from audio interfaces and keys, and 1 year on software.

Computers:

I have two G5's and a dual quad core Intel Pro, so replacing 3 CPU's isn't cheap. However, memory and drives are so cheap these days its easy to install all you need at the time of purchase. Since all of my Mac are connected to the web, they automatically update, usually about once a month. Seeing monitor prices drop has been a big help too- so I changed my 23" flat panels to 30" ones. I waited on on purchasing the Intel-based Macs to gain confidence not only in the OS 10.5 release but so that any cursory hardware issues would resolve. Apple has had a long dubious reputation of having substandard 1st-run releases. With that, I could not afford studio-down time. So, you go with what works until your confidence is satisfied.

Keys:

As an older keyboardist, I'm very happy to see that the past 3 years have ushered in some of the most significant changes in keyboard technology. IMHO, there was a long run of ho-hum boards from the late 80's to about 2004.

It really comes down to choice. The more ill-advised choices you make the more often you have to countermand those bad choices with new purchases. Perhaps with the rapid infusion of new boutique-style keyboards my desire to rotate or append my arsenal will happen more often. I acknowledge that is tough to stay afloat and this why the big 3 (Korg, Roland & Yamaha) cater to the semi-pro as most of their lines reflect this agenda. However, Nord, Access, Moog and Studio Electronics are making great and successful products without having to dive into the workstation or semi-pro pools. I used to buy almost exclusively from the big 3, now I don't need to.

Specifically, I noticed 3 key problems with manufacturers during the erstwhile time-frame I spoke of:

1) Too may workstations, which as a pro I have no use for. (2) Virtual synths- which IMHO sound like crap and you need a myriad of CPUS to run plus the enormous waste of time to install and maintain. (3) The big 3 seemed to only very-recently take advantage of cheap memory as most of the romplers' and modellors' had sub-standard fidelity due to their companding' and compressing of waveforms, but it may be prove to be a bit late for them.

Audio Interfaces:

I have had to swap out my MOTU PCI card 3 times in the past 5 years due to spec changes from Apple. They all worked fine but would not work on the newer machines. I have 2 MOTU HD 192 interfaces which do what all converters do; change analog signal into a stream of 1's and 0's. This is hardly new tech as its been around commercially for 30 years. So I wont replace any of my hardware but WILL make changes in my hi-end converters from time-to-time.

Software:

As the Macs self-update their OS I will move on. Upgrading to OS 10.5 ushered in some problems- mainly i-lok authorization for my plug-ins and sounds libraries. While some worked, others did not. Perhaps this is at the core of your "Keyboard Challenge".

How likely are we to upgrade knowing of the ensuing problems we will have? My studio is VERY busy, so its not a matter of cost to buy as it is a matter of wages lost. Granted, things have got much better in this department as software in general is much more crash-free than it used to be (at least on a Mac). But, I still have recurring problems with the newer synths that rely on USB- computer editing. A lot of the manufacturers release their product before it's truly ready, demanding updates via the www and their USB port. Most USB based keys don't like being connected to the CPU full time which means you have to unplug them which means with flaky USB their ports are being scanned and the problems which surface when something is removed from the chain AS IN my USB-based interfaces are not recognized OR are in the wrong order. At the core of all of this is Apple. Their constant change in OS bullies 3rd party developers and often upsets the delicate working balance of my set-up. Will USB 3 solve these issues?

2nd Part

It all comes down to sound and human interface. If it sounds great but it takes you an eternity to get there, its not financially or emotionally feasible. Conversely, if it's something you can easily operate in the dark while hanging upside down from your ankles and sounds like ka-ka OR it doesn't fit your style of work, than its a waste of time & money. No one piece of gear does it all. The right choices almost always ensures the longevity of your set-up, the more ill-adivsed your choices the more static and influx your set up is, hence a shift in focus from creativity to non-productive technical ones.

To answer your question specifically, I'd have to say we have successfully jumped leaps and bounds towards creative nirvana and in our own personal evolution. I am vastly more productive than I used to be, creating larger more intricate pieces of work faster and better sounding. But we still have a long way to go....

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rapid evolution of technology doesn't hamper anything I do creatively. I believe in making the most of what I have and that means not allowing technology to drive my creative process via acquisition of the "latest" and/or "greatest", but making sure whatever I have and use works for my musical needs, be it live on stage or in the studio.

UPDATES: I try to stay current with all updates for software, regularly checking the various manufacture websites and keeping eyes open in forum conversations. I don't update, however, when apparent issues between OS and software exist.

UPGRADES:

COMPUTER: Every 4 years or so. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am running OS X 10.4.11 on a 1 GHz G4 TiBook with 1 GB Ram. It works well for me. My next purchase will be a MacBook Pro probably within 6 months, but only if it doesn't abandon the Firewire interface.

MUSIC SOFTWARE: Typically when I upgrade the OS, I upgrade the DAW (assuming I have updated thru its revisions). I don't always jump to the newest release (i.e I went from DP 4.1 to DP 5.0, skipping DP 4.6 because of its lack of stability.

INTERFACES: I haven't yet since I went to Mac. Still Running two MOTU 828 mkII's and when I do, I am going to the mkIII's.

KEYBOARDS: I am on a 4-5 year cycle for workstations, but again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have no issue skipping generations (Motif Classic to the XS, skipping the ES). In between, I satiate my GAS with fun purchases like VA synths, modules and soft synths.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Archived