Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live gig, sound questions

Switch hitter

Hey, one question. I had a gig last night, first gig with my Bassman silverface that involved a soundman. He Miked the amp and got plenty of sound no problem. But he was preferring to DI the amp. Unfortunately The silverface doesnt have a DI but it does have an extension speaker output. I was wondering running that to a DI box next time. Would that work?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could work with a speaker-level Direct Box. They have an in from your amp and an out for you cabinet, running between the two. I've used them many times with great success. Soundmen love them because they keep the number of mics they have to have open on a soundstage down to a minimum. Hughes & Kettner made one called the RedBox. I don't know if they still do or not.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I own one of those Countryman thingamabobbers.

Davio, when do you need it? Should I bring with me when I come back east in two months and lend it to you?

I wonder what it will be like to get it through airport security.

Once upon a time (long before the current situation), I failed miserably in an attempt to take a wireless transmitter and receiver on an international flight.

Other things that have caused problems for me in security have included jars of matzoh ball soup.

I don't really have a need at this time since the DI in my head is pretty decent. What I meant was that it might be good to have one in case I find a need down the road. But if you can manage to sneak it over here with you it'd be cool just to try it out...and if they don't let you take it back on the plane I'd be willing to hold on to it until you can get back home and grab a rental car to come get it and drive it back.

Archived