Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AccuGroove Synergy

davio

davio, it comes down to good design and quality components in my opinion.

Tubes tend to be marketed to guitarists and bassists because they are "better". The Avalon U5 has no tubes. Rupert Neve doesn't use tubes in his design; pretty well regarded. When my Eden WT-405 is not on fire (like it was last week), it sounds great. No tube.

I have no experience with the Fender TPB-1. It might be a bad design or maybe you just didn't like it. I hate most Eden amps (the ones with tube preamps), and other people love them. I use the same preamp as Brian when I go to Ultrasound Studios, and I have never been able to coax the sound I want out of it. Some people use my Demeter VTBP-201s (William) and do not get the hype; I think it is one of the more brilliant pieces of gear available. Different strokes.

Hey, some people even like Hartke gear. :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand that there are plenty of fantastic solidstate amps (I usually prefer playing SS amps based on the tube amps I've tried out). But as far as one tube amp sounding better than another, I was assuming that having only one tube in the pre section wouldn't give it much a "tube-y" sound whereas the Aguilars (which have several tubes) have a very "tube-y" sound.

Hey, some people even like Hartke gear. :)

The tubey-est sound I have ever heard was from an Alembic F-1X. Basic Fender tone-stack. Single tube.

I love the irony of these two quotes! ;) Why? Because you have to hear the new Hartke LH500/1000 - they've put the basic Fender tone-stack as also found in the Alembic into a hilariously cheap amp head and it sounds amazing!

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26831

Alex

Wally was nice enough to give me a heads up about this thread, but I was out of town for the weekend celebrating my 31st anniversary. Sorry for the delay.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions other than cost. We wont know the cost until we get close to NAMM. Sound & reliability are our design criterias, not a certain price point.

All the best,

Mark

Understandable. Thanks for checking in, Mark!

...and congrats!

I guess since my attention was drawn to the TalkBass post most of my questions have been answered. The only thing I'm left wondering about is: are the specs on your website still accurate or are those the specs from before the redesign? For example, you listed among the improvements "better sounding, 20+% smaller, lighter, 30% more power"...is 10lbs the reduced weight? Is 17"x13"x3.5" the original size or the 20% smaller size? Etc.

davio, it comes down to good design and quality components in my opinion.

Tubes tend to be marketed to guitarists and bassists because they are "better". The Avalon U5 has no tubes. Rupert Neve doesn't use tubes in his design; pretty well regarded. When my Eden WT-405 is not on fire (like it was last week), it sounds great. No tube.

I have no experience with the Fender TPB-1. It might be a bad design or maybe you just didn't like it. I hate most Eden amps (the ones with tube preamps), and other people love them. I use the same preamp as Brian when I go to Ultrasound Studios, and I have never been able to coax the sound I want out of it. Some people use my Demeter VTBP-201s (William) and do not get the hype; I think it is one of the more brilliant pieces of gear available. Different strokes.

This is a pretty useful post. Thanks, Maurizio.

I do get a useable and pretty tasty sound from the Aguilar preamps at UltraSound Rehearsal Studios. I'm not in love with that Demeter pre, and when I use your gear I'm a larger fan of the Kern.

Now I own a Warwick Quad preamp like robb. (wherefore art thou on this thread, homey?!), and I think I can achieve some tubey tone goodness with that, partially because there's not only preamp tubeness but also a power amp tube.

It ain't just the inclusion of one or more tubes in the preamp, it's the design of the whole sh-bang.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

are the specs on your website still accurate or are those the specs from before the redesign? For example, you listed among the improvements "better sounding, 20+% smaller, lighter, 30% more power"...is 10lbs the reduced weight? Is 17"x13"x3.5" the original size or the 20% smaller size? Etc.

Hey Davio, Those specs are before the redesign. We'll change them before NAMM. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
couldn't find it though....

Long story short: The Accugroove cabinets used to come with what was called an "AccuSwitch". This simple resistor/capacitor network toggled the measured DC resistance of the cabinet between 4 ohms and 8 ohms. Sounds like magic doesn't it? Well, it wasn't. The switch toggled the DC resistance between 4 and 8 ohms, but it didn't actually change the input impedance (roughly the AC equivalent of DC resistance...this is what the amp actually *sees* since it's output is AC sine waves rather than a straight DC current). So a 4-ohm cabinet was still a 4-ohm cabinet regardless of how you set the switch. Hook a 4-ohm load to an amp rated for 8-ohms and guess what happens? Sooner or later you let the magic smoke out of the amp.

The question became: did he understand the simple electrical theory behind this or not? In other words, was he so imcompetent that he didn't know changing the resistance did NOT change the impedance of the cab? Considering he was competent enough to build the circuit, it's doubtful. Did he knowingly market a product component/feature that would damage amps just to sell more cabs? Looks likely.

And to add insult to injury, this sham came from someone who made all sorts of proclamations on his web-site about his devout Christian beliefs. :rolleyes: Now, Christians certainly do make mistakes and bad choices, since we're all human. BUT...no admission of guilt nor explanation was ever offered that I saw. Do most mfg's mis-represent their cabinets specs to some degree? Yes...BUT...claiming frequency response of 30Hz when the -6db point is actually 60Hz or claiming full spectrum sensitivity of 100db while it's actually 100db at 1KHz doesn't typically damage amps. Claiming 8 ohm impedance when it's actually 4 ohm impedance does.

It was a sham that demonstrated reckless irresponsibility IMO. Does he make great cabs that sound great? I'm sure he does. Did he need to propagate a substantial falsehood to sell more cabs? Apparently so. Some folks on this forum still believe the "AccuSwitch" works...if they wish to fools themselves, that is their choice. :rolleyes: Ignorance is indeed blissful.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I do not understand:

525 watts at 8-ohms

1,100 watts at 4-ohms

That is a strange specification. It was always my understanding that, in a perfect situation, the most you can get from halving the resistance is a double of the output. However, most of the time, due to performance of the actual components, you get something less than double (this is why you see amps that do 405 watts at 8-ohms output something like 650-watts at 4-ohms).

So, do I misunderstand how this works? robb, you around?

Now I own a Warwick Quad preamp like robb. ...

love it!

and I think I can achieve some tubey tone goodness with that, partially because there's not only preamp tubeness but also a power amp tube.

verily, the EL84 power amp on settings 3 and 4 impart all kinds of stellar on my tone. i never use 1 and 2 as a result.

It ain't just the inclusion of one or more tubes in the preamp, it's the design of the whole sh-bang.

Peace.

--SW

a big part of the "tube sound" is the output transformer. use a transformer, and you will better approximate it than just adding a tube gain stage.

One thing I do not understand:

525 watts at 8-ohms

1,100 watts at 4-ohms

That is a strange specification. It was always my understanding that, in a perfect situation, the most you can get from halving the resistance is a double of the output. However, most of the time, due to performance of the actual components, you get something less than double (this is why you see amps that do 405 watts at 8-ohms output something like 650-watts at 4-ohms).

So, do I misunderstand how this works? robb, you around?

i've been busy. sheesh.

your understanding of physics is correct. at a fixed voltage, half the load impedance means twice the power, provided the amplifier can source that much current (most are limited).

beyond that, i will defer to mark. he is, obviously, more intimately familiar with the technology is his amp than i am.

robb.

it must be a typo. the accugroove site lists it at 1000W into 2O, 775W into 4O, and 450W into 8O.

nothing to see here. move on.

robb.

No, those were the old numbers before the rework. Mark said the new PDF was done over the weekend and he's waiting for his web guy to put it up.

• 1 month later...

Archived