Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AccuGroove Synergy

davio

It's been mentioned all of once since NAMM (by Wally Malone saying he might get the chance to try it) and I don't see much other than the press release out there. Has anybody seen/heard/tried it yet? Has it been released into the retail world yet? Is there a price tag on it yet? Anybody have thoughts on it?

It might look nice sitting on top of my Bill Dickens one day when I have money...with a Super J 5...carried by my roadies...transported in my armored Rolls Royce.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just happened to post while I was moonlighting at the TalkBass forum about Amps.

What's taking us so long? We showed a working prototype at NAMM that was amazing. However, I knew we could do better. Without giving everything away, we've been fine tuning the following:

Better sounding

20+% smaller

Lighter

30% more power

US & European power

Just imagine; this thing was already on slam before we started tweaking. I just have to know that weve done everything possible to build the ultimate no compromise amp. Were almost there & it will be worth the wait. Production should hit between now & Jan. NAMM

click me for the entire thread

- Matt W.

One of the features of his speaker cabinets didn't work as advertised...

...Rather than going through the whole thing again, please search for the original thread.

The original thread appears to have completely vanished. However this may shed some light on what it was about:

http://www.acmebass.com/forum/acmeswitch.htm

Alex

In hopes of not repeating history or allowing this thread to get off its intended track (and I understand that it's only been referenced so far):

Wally, Jeremy, anybody else who might have the opportunity to try one of these Synergy heads out...I would value your input if you felt inclined to share.

One of the features of his speaker cabinets didn't work as advertised.

This led to some pretty vicious attacks on his character.

I'll disagree, Jeremy. The attacks on his character had nothing to do with the feature on his speaker cabinets that did not work as advertised. The attacks on his character were due to his response to questions about the feature on his cabinet. If the man would have responded to the issue, I think the attacks would not have been as pervasive.

You may have a different opinion of the man as you have met him in person, but the rest of us just have to go on what the man's public persona displayed. The latter was less than stellar.

I read the whole thread (at work) and learned lots.

I'm glad the switch is not produced anymore, and I love the sound of those cabs. Heck one day I might buy one.... the end.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

If anybody wants to discuss the switch or the events surrounding the other thread, please do so in that thread as this one has nothing to do with it. I would request that we limit this thread to Synergy discussion and generally acceptable tangents only please.

I'm very interested to hear one of these Synergy amps now. Especially after re-visiting that other thread that shall go nameless. I'd really love the chance to A/B it with my Aguilar + Stewart setup. I'm also curious what they are going to cost. Quality components and trying to recoup R&D costs could make these absurdly expensive.

Indeed. But I don't know if the tone will be able to keep up with your Aguilar since it only has one 12AX7 tube (the Aguilar has 3 of them plus a 12AU7) although they have somewhat similarly simple controls. If they make the AG much smaller or lighter I don't think it's going to stay on top of a cab when the music starts.

As a side note...I hate how AG's website is set up.

Correction: the DB750 has three 12AX7s and a 12AU7...Tater's DB680 pre has two 12AX7A/7025s and three 12AU7s.

But still, it's hard to imagine that a single tube in the pre section will give it much of a tube sound. Reminds me of the brief period that I had a Fender TBP-1...not a fan.

davio, single tube or multiple tube matter much less than the design. My tubey-est sounding piece of gear has two tubes, one in the regular signal path and one for the effects loop (which I do not use).

The Ampeg SVP-Pro has five tubes. Most of them are better at producing hiss than tubey-ness.

I'd like to compare it to a Thunderfunk amp and I know that Whappo has one of those in his shop.

Is that based on something he's told you or are you assuming based on other info? I've never played or heard a Thunderfunk but I've read good things. Could be interesting.

davio, single tube or multiple tube matter much less than the design. My tubey-est sounding piece of gear has two tubes, one in the regular signal path and one for the effects loop (which I do not use).

The Ampeg SVP-Pro has five tubes. Most of them are better at producing hiss than tubey-ness.

I appreciate the input as my tube knowledge is based more on product descriptions and press releases than actual data and experience.

I guess the TBP-1 was more a matter of it being a piece of crap (IMO) than only having one tube.

Archived